Speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit

• Thread starter Kasper_NYC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Speed
In summary, the speed (velocity) of an exiting flow of gas from a pressured deposit is proportional to the pressure and temperature of the external atmosphere.
Kasper_NYC
Hi,

Please, what is the formula to calculate the speed (velocity) of an exiting flow of gas from a pressured deposit?

For example, it is supposed a deposit, that contains gas CO2, at 10 atmospheres of pressure (980.665 KPa), with a density of 18.7 Kg/m^3, at 288.15 K (59 F) of temperature. The molar mass of the CO2 is 0.044 Kg/mol.

How much would be the speed (velocity) during the first second of an exiting flow of gas from the deposit to the atmosphere, through a 10 cm diameter hole made in the deposit, being the exterior atmosphere at 1 atmosphere of pressure and 288.15 K of temperature as well?

Please, image a hypothetical huge deposit, so the loss of mass of the first second exiting gas doesn’t make any perceptible difference in the density of the total mass of the deposit (so neither the pressure changes), and doesn’t matter any other variable as humidity, external wind, resistance or viscosity.

I have been several days looking for this formula, and I couldn’t find it. Any link will help.

Thanks in advance.

PS - [[ Maybe this is ridicules, but I supposed that the difference of 9 atmospheres of pressure, it is similar to the energy that a mass of 1 cubic meter of water will have when falls vertically 90 meters. (1 atmosphere of pressure it is similar than the hydrostatic pressure at 10 meters of depth in water). So I supposed that the speed of the exiting gas will be similar to the speed you get in a free fall of 90 meters. I estimated 42.02 m/s. But I am afraid this is completely wrong. ]].

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you just calculate the force:

[tex]F = P S[/tex]

Then, according to a modified version of Newton's 2nd law,

[tex] F = v\frac{\Delta m}{\Delta t} = \rho S v \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \rho S v^2[/tex]

And so, the velocity is

[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{P}{\rho}}[/tex]

Hi Irid,

Thanks for your answer. Before you answer me I posted also in other forum in order to compare results. This problem seems to be a little bite tricky.

I have tried the formula you suggested and I have got this:

[tex]P[/tex]: 980665 Pa
[tex]\rho[/tex]: 18.7 Kg/m[tex]\overline{}3[/tex]

[tex]\nu[/tex] = 229 m/s

I have also get this other answers: http://es.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080906011906AA9OJzs&r=w and from this answer these other links:

http://www.efunda.com/forum/show_message.cfm?start=1&thread=16827&id=16827
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/engineering/choked-flow-gases-through-orifice-leak-14632.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow

Being all of them relatives to "Chocked Flow", that I think is what the problem is going about.

I have tried two of them, getting a similar result that "Krchwey" answered in the other forum: approximately 16 Kg/s that means a volume of 0.8556 m^3, that will results in a speed flow of 109 m/s approximately.

This is the formula I have used:

Q = C A [K d P]^(1/2) [2/(K+1)]^(K+1)/(2K-2)

C= 0.72
A= 0.007853981 m^2
K= Cp/Cv = 815 / 626 = 1.3 J/Kg
d= 18.7 Kg/m^3

Q = 0.005654866 * 4882.608 * 0.585227 = 16.158 Kg/s

My result is a little bite different, but is close.

Still I am confused, and I am not sure if this is the correct answer. I have to check everything again, and I will let you know.

Best and thanks for your answer.

1. What factors affect the speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit?

The speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit is affected by several factors, including the pressure of the gas in the deposit, the temperature of the gas, and the size and shape of the opening through which the gas is exiting. Other factors such as the composition of the gas and the surrounding environmental conditions may also play a role.

2. How is the speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit measured?

The speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit can be measured using various instruments, such as flow meters, anemometers, or pressure gauges. These instruments measure the velocity, flow rate, or pressure of the gas, which can then be used to calculate the speed of the gas.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and speed of an exiting gas?

Generally, as the pressure of a gas in a deposit increases, the speed of the gas exiting the deposit will also increase. This is because higher pressure creates a greater force that propels the gas out of the deposit at a faster speed. However, other factors such as the size and shape of the opening may also affect the speed of the exiting gas.

4. Can the speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit be controlled?

Yes, the speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit can be controlled by adjusting the pressure, temperature, or opening size. For example, if the pressure is reduced, the speed of the exiting gas will also decrease. Additionally, using devices such as valves or regulators can help regulate the speed of the gas.

5. How is the speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit used in practical applications?

The speed of an exiting gas from a pressured deposit is important in various practical applications, such as in the oil and gas industry for controlling the flow of natural gas from wells. It is also used in chemical and manufacturing processes for controlling the release of gases. Additionally, the speed of an exiting gas can be used to measure the efficiency of different systems, such as in combustion engines or ventilation systems.