1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of chain with few variables

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    I have no idea how to solve this. All i can think of is that you need mass to solve the problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A chain is lying flat on a table. It has no friction against the flat surface. You pull the chain to the edge of the table so that it from a resting state starts to slide down from the table. The chain is 30 cm long. Calculate the chains velocity when the chain has left the table.

2. Relevant equations
    v^2*m*0.5 = Ek

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As usual with these types of questions, start by drawing the free body diagram (FBD) for the setup. In this case, I would draw 3 FBDs -- one for the case when the chain is just barely starting to fall, one for mid-fall, and one for when the full chain has just left the table.

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3
    I would also think about conservation of energy for this one, to avoid some difficult differential equations. You're going to have potential energy transferred to kinetic as the chain falls, so the solution will involve thinking about how much potential energy is going to be lost by the chain once it has left the table.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted