Speed of electron in Bohr model

In summary, in the classical Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, the nucleus has one positive electronic charge and the single electron orbits the nucleus in a circular orbit. Stable orbits occur when the angular momentum is an integral multiple of h/(2\pi) and the speed and radius of the ground state orbit can be calculated using the equations provided. The calculated radius is close to the known atomic size of an Angstrom.
vaizard

Homework Statement

In the classical Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, the nucleus has one positive electronic charge Q_n = e = +1.602E-19 Coulombs and the single electron (mass = 9.1E-31 kg and Q_e = -e = -1.602E-19 C, one negative electronic charge) orbits the nucleus in a circular orbit. In the Bohr model, stable orbits result only when the angular momentum is an integral multiple of h/(2\pi) (remember, L = r x p, but for circular orbits r is perpendicular to p, so here L = mvr = n(h/2\pi) and h = Planck's constant = 6.626E-34 J-s.

a) Calculate the speed with which the electron must orbit the proton for the ground state (n = 1) in the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom.

b) What is the radius of this ground state orbit? You probably know from Chemistry that the atomic size is about an Angstrom (10E-10 m). Is your answer close to this?

Homework Equations

[tex]L = mvr = \frac{nh}{2\pi}[/tex]
Not sure if this one is needed, but:
[tex]F = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{|q_1q_2|}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the first equation,
[tex]v = \frac{nh}{2\pi mr}[/tex]
I know what n, h, and m are, but I don't have r (well, I know it's .529E-10, but I can't use it). For this reason, I'm trying to use the second equation to find r from the charge values for the proton and electron, but I don't know F, the force on each charge. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember from circular motion that [tex]a=\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex].

So Newton's 2nd law can be written as [tex]F=m\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex]. This should help :)

Yeah, I thought of that too, but once again, you need the radius to find the force by that method.

two equations, two unknowns?

You have one equation, now use forces to get second.
will get something like
v^2 = k1/r
v = k2 /r

Well, you have Bohr'd second postulate as,
[tex]L = mvr = \frac{nh}{2\pi}[/tex]
On squaring it, you'll have:
[tex] m^2v^2r^2 = \frac{n^2h^2}{4\pi^2}[/tex]

Also, from the first postulate you know that,
Centripetal Force= Electrostatic Force
Therefore you'll have,
[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r}=~\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_o r^2} [/tex]

Now, equate the [tex]v^2[/tex] terms, with their appropriate values from the above two equations, you'll get an equation for r!

I hope this proves to be of help to you. :wink:

Thanks a lot, that worked perfectly! I would have never thought of that!

When I completed part B, I got an answer of [tex]\sim 0.48 \, \AA[/tex] for the radius, which is close enough to [tex]a_0 = 0.529 \, \AA[/tex]

Well, I'm always hereto help!

1. What is the Bohr model?

The Bohr model is a simplified illustration of the structure of an atom. It was proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913 and is based on the idea that electrons orbit the nucleus in specific energy levels.

2. Why is the speed of an electron important in the Bohr model?

The speed of an electron is important in the Bohr model because it determines the energy level of the electron and its position in the atom's structure. The faster an electron moves, the higher its energy level and the farther it is from the nucleus.

3. How is the speed of an electron calculated in the Bohr model?

The speed of an electron in the Bohr model is calculated using the formula v = (Z/n) * c, where v is the speed of the electron, Z is the atomic number of the element, n is the principal quantum number, and c is the speed of light.

4. What is the maximum speed of an electron in the Bohr model?

According to the Bohr model, the maximum speed of an electron is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. However, this is only an idealized concept and does not accurately represent the behavior of electrons in atoms.

5. How does the speed of an electron change in different energy levels in the Bohr model?

In the Bohr model, the speed of an electron increases as it moves from lower to higher energy levels. This is because the higher the energy level, the farther the electron is from the nucleus and the faster it must move to maintain its orbit.