Speed of Electrons: 1.13*10^6 m/s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
huntingrdr
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two electrons separated by 2*10^(-10)m are released from rest. What is the speed of each electron when they are a large distance apart. (Both electrons will have the same speed.) The answer should be 1.13*10^(6)m/s.

Homework Equations



none

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not sure what formula to use. If I were given kinetic energy I think I could figure this one out, but can't with the info given. Any help on where to start?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equations are the equations for electrical potential energy and kinetic energy.
At a large distance apart, all of the potential energy stored at the start (when the e- are separated by 2*10^(-10) m) have been converted to kinetic energy.
 
Some large distance probably refers to infinite. Find the initial energy of the system, which would be the electric potential energy, U. At infinite, U would mostly convert to kinetic energy, K.

If your answer exceeds the speed of light (or comes considerably close), you might want to add relativistic adjustments.
 
Yes. I had forgotten to mention relativistic adjustments as well. Also keep in mind that the electron has an elementary charge (this will be useful when determining the electric potential energy.)