Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light in a different medium

1. May 24, 2008 #1
    a lot of transformation laws have c in them. the speed of light, however, depends on the medium ( [tex] c' [/tex] ) and is different from the [tex]c[/tex] in vaccuum.

so my question is, which one should i use in relativistic laws if the medium is , say, water with [tex] c' = \frac{c}{1.33} [/tex]

of course one would say [tex] c[/tex], but in the [tex] w=\frac{u+v}{1+\frac{u v}{c^2}}[/tex] the speeds can get up to [tex]c[/tex], whereas in that medium they should never go faster than [tex] c'[/tex]

or how should i apply relativistic laws in a specific medium ?

and the momentum of light [tex] \frac{E}{c} [/tex]?

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2
    whereas in that medium they should never go faster than c'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation

Čerenkov radiation (also spelled Cerenkov or Cherenkov) is electromagnetic radiation emitted when a charged particle (such as a proton) passes through an insulator at a speed greater than the speed of light in that medium. The characteristic "blue glow" of nuclear reactors is due to Čerenkov radiation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?