1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of person firing gun on ice

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    A person is standing on a sheet of ice so slippery that friction may be ignored. This individual fires a gun parallel to the ground. When a standard cartridge is used , a 17-g bullet is shot forward with a speed of 250 m/s, and the person recoils with a speed of vc. When a blank cartridge is used , a mass of 0.17g is shot forward with a speed of 57 m/s , and the recoil speed is vb. Find the ratio vb/vc.

I'm trying to figure out how to apply the conversation of momentum to this problem. I know that Pi = Pf, but in the case of this problem how would I figure out what 'recoil speed' the person experiences? Please help me begin this problem, thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2
    You don't need to find the speeds, only their ratio is required. Use Pi = Pf in both cases, and then divide one equation by the other.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?