Calculating Average Recoil Force for Machine Gun Firing 50g Bullets

• Thread starter gcombina
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average recoil force experienced by a machine gun that fires 50-g bullets at a rate of 4 bullets per second with a speed of 1000 m/s. Through the use of Newton's laws and the equation F=Δp/Δt, the average force is found to be 200 N. Some confusion arises from using incorrect equations and units, but the correct answer is eventually determined.
gcombina
A machine gun fires 50-g bullets at the rate of 4 bullets per second. The bullets leave the gun at a speed of 1000 m/s. What is the average recoil force experienced by the machine gun?

My attempt:
(1) J = FT
F= J/T

so what else should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well average velocity is total distance divided by total time ... what would average force be?
(Hint: Newtons laws ... how is force related to change in momentum?)

Likes 1 person
F= J/T= mv/T

Thanks!

Well done.
Just checking:- if you traveled in 10s bursts of 10m/s which occur 90s apart - what's the average speed?
The problem you have is actually slightly easier than that.

Hello, so I get 200000 g m/s,

what am I doing wrong?

Please show your working.

J = ft
= (mv) t
= (200g * 1000 m/s) (1s)
= 200 000 gm

* its asking me for the recoil which means the impulse right?
and that is J = ft and what is force? f = mv right? so final formula is J = (mv) (t)
* mass is 200g because of the 4 bullets and velocity is 1000m/s

so I don't know why is wrong, can't see it

gcombina said:
J = ft
= (mv) t
Check that equation (J=mvt) by dimemsional analysis.

If "f" is the force in that equation, then you just wrote "force=momentum" ... which is incorrect.
If J is specific impulse, then ##J=\Delta p##

* its asking me for the recoil which means the impulse right?
No - it specifically asks for the average force of the recoil. $$\bar F = \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t}$$

and that is J = ft and what is force? f = mv right?
No, ##F=ma##.

* mass is 200g because of the 4 bullets and velocity is 1000m/s
Or just use one bullet averaged over 0.25s ... whatever, should get the same number.
But use the right equation, you'll get the right units.

Likes 1 person
ok

ok I did

F = Δp / Δt

but still I am getting the same bad answer

F = (200 gr/s) (1000 m/s) / (1s)

what is wrong with my equation?

where did 1 second come from? I did't see that anywhere in the problem.

gcombina said:
ok I did

F = Δp / Δt

but still I am getting the same bad answer

what is wrong with my equation?

Besides the fact that you're mysteriously dividing by (1s), there seems to be nothing wrong with it.

cause my equation is F = mv/t

so the time is 1 second (all bullets fired in one second), what else should I put then? any ideas?

Are you not expected to give Force in SI units?
How do you know you got he wrong answer?

@Simon, ok i needed to convert 200 gr into kg which is .20 kg and I got 200 N.
Thanks!

1. How do you calculate the average recoil force for a machine gun firing 50g bullets?

In order to calculate the average recoil force for a machine gun firing 50g bullets, you will need to know the mass of the bullet (50g), the velocity of the bullet as it leaves the barrel, and the rate of fire for the machine gun. You will also need to take into account the weight and length of the gun, as well as the angle at which it is fired. Using these factors, you can use the formula F = (m * v) / t to calculate the average recoil force.

2. Why is it important to calculate the average recoil force for machine gun firing 50g bullets?

Calculating the average recoil force is important for several reasons. It allows you to determine the impact of the gun's firing on the shooter and the surrounding environment. It also helps with designing and adjusting the gun's recoil system to ensure the shooter can handle the recoil and maintain accuracy.

3. What are some factors that can affect the average recoil force for a machine gun firing 50g bullets?

The average recoil force can be affected by several factors such as the mass and velocity of the bullet, the rate of fire, the weight and length of the gun, and the angle at which it is fired. Additionally, the type of ammunition used and any modifications made to the gun can also impact the recoil force.

4. How does the angle at which the machine gun is fired affect the average recoil force?

The angle at which the machine gun is fired can have a significant impact on the average recoil force. When fired at a higher angle, the force of gravity can act upon the bullet, causing it to drop sooner and reducing the amount of recoil force. However, when fired at a lower angle, the bullet may travel further before hitting the ground, resulting in a higher recoil force.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when calculating the average recoil force for a machine gun firing 50g bullets?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when calculating the average recoil force for a machine gun firing 50g bullets. This includes wearing proper protective gear and following all safety protocols when handling firearms. It is also important to use accurate and up-to-date data when inputting values into the recoil force formula to ensure accurate results.