Speed of Sound in Air: Examining True Statements

In summary, the speed of sound in air is affected by pressure, temperature, humidity, and density. However, in gases, it mainly depends on molecular weight and temperature. Therefore, statements A and C are incorrect and statement B is partially correct, as the increase in speed is due to the decrease in molecular weight caused by humidity, not density.
leena19

Homework Statement

Consider the following statements made regarding the speed of sound in air,
(A) Speed increases with the increase of pressure when the temperature is kept constant
(B) speed increases with the increase of temperature and humidity
(C) speed decreaes with the increase of density when the temperature is kept constant
Of the above,
1)only A is true 2) only B's true (3)only C's true 3)A & B are true (4) all A,B&C are true

Homework Equations

V=[tex]\sqrt{Bulk modulus/density}[/tex]
V= [tex]\sqrt{gamma*P /d}[/tex]
V=[tex]\sqrt{gamma*PV/m}[/tex]
V proportional [tex]\sqrt{T}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) is wrong ,cause according to the 3rd equation,a change in pressure would also change the volume as a result V remains unchanged
B) V does increase when the temperature increases(acc. to the last equation) and also when humidity increases(as density decreases)
It is C) that I'm having a problem with,I think the speed should decrease when the density increases,even when the temperature is a constant as V is inversely proprtional to d,
But there is no answer that says both B& C are true

I don't know where I'm going wrong.
I hope someone can help.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
OK,so the speed of sound depends on density only in solid and liquid media.In gases ,it depends only on molecular weight and temperature.so A and C are wrong,and in B,the speed increases in humid air only cause of the decrease in molecular weight,not because of the decrease in density.
I now understand
THANK YOU

1. What is the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second at room temperature and atmospheric pressure.

2. Does the speed of sound in air change with altitude?

Yes, the speed of sound in air decreases with increasing altitude due to the decrease in air density. At higher altitudes, the air molecules are more spread out, making it harder for sound waves to travel.

3. How does temperature affect the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in air increases with increasing temperature. This is because warmer air has higher molecular motion, allowing sound waves to travel faster through the air.

4. Is the speed of sound in air affected by humidity?

Yes, humidity can affect the speed of sound in air. Higher humidity levels can cause sound to travel slightly slower due to the added water vapor molecules in the air.

5. Can the speed of sound in air be measured?

Yes, the speed of sound in air can be measured using various methods such as the time-of-flight method, resonance method, or the Doppler effect. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance or the change in frequency of a sound wave due to motion.