1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed Relative to an Observer on the Ground

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A shuttle is orbitting around the earth at a velocity of (7.7x10^3) m/sec. The distance between a point on the earth to the shuttle is (6.7x10^6)m. Calculate the speed of the shuttle relative to an observer on the earth.

Completely lost! I was able to solve the question before it, but I can't find a way to determine the speed. If you need more informatio or if I left anything out, tell me.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2
    Just a thought, this is what I would do, but do not take this as an answer, weight for the real clever guys to come and give an opinion.
    Translate the speed of the shuttle to angular velocity. This will give a different speed at different radiu'... If you take the observers neck as its turning point and his eyes is 100mm from the rotation point, what would the speed be at which his eyes will be rotating about his neck, this will be the relative speed to the observer... This is just a thaught and how I will approach this, cheers! Hope you find the answer...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook