Sphere/disk rolling down an incline HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball or sphere with a radius of R and mass M rolling down an incline with a height of H and an angle of \Theta. The problem is to find the time it takes for the object to reach the bottom. The solution involves using conservation of mechanical energy and solving for the final velocity at the bottom of the incline. The conversation also suggests using the angle to find the length of the incline and using that length to calculate the acceleration. The final step is to use the velocity and acceleration to find the time it takes for the object to reach the bottom.
asourpatchkid
Sphere/disk rolling down an incline HELP!

Homework Statement

a ball, or sphere with a radius of R and mass Mis rolling down an incline with a height of H and an angle of [tex]\Theta[/tex] how long does it take to get to the bottom

Homework Equations

Conservation of mechanical energy
Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui
K = 1/2 (I/R^2 + M)v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved for the system with conservation of energy

1/2(I/R^2 + M )v^2 + 0 = 0 + Mgh

solved for final velocity of the ball or disc at the bottom of the incline

and got

v = [2gh/1 + ( I/ MR^2)]^0.5

set H=MG[tex]\Theta[/tex]

and got

v = [2gMG[tex]\Theta[/tex]/1 + ( I/ MR^2)]^0.5

i am having trouble however seeing how i can solve for time t in terms of all the variables...please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well using the angle you can solve for the length of the incline in terms of height, and using that length you can find what the acceleration was using the formula
V(final)^2 = V(init)^2 + 2*a*(Xfinal- Xinit), with the velocity and length you found.
Then you can find the time using t = V/a

Hello,

It seems like you have made good progress in solving for the final velocity of the sphere/disk at the bottom of the incline. To find the time it takes for the sphere/disk to roll down the incline, you can use the equation v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled and t is the time. In this case, the distance traveled is the length of the incline, which can be calculated using trigonometry (d = H/sinθ). So, the time it takes for the sphere/disk to roll down the incline can be found by rearranging the equation to t = d/v.

However, keep in mind that this equation assumes that there is no friction present. If there is friction, it will slow down the sphere/disk and affect the time it takes to reach the bottom. In that case, you may need to use more advanced equations that take into account the effects of friction.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is the equation for the acceleration of a sphere/disk rolling down an incline?

The equation for the acceleration of a sphere/disk rolling down an incline is a = g*sinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of the incline.

How does the mass of the sphere/disk affect its acceleration down the incline?

The mass of the sphere/disk does not affect its acceleration down the incline. The acceleration is solely determined by the angle of the incline and the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the sphere/disk?

The acceleration of the sphere/disk is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. As the angle of the incline increases, the acceleration also increases.

How does friction affect the motion of the sphere/disk rolling down an incline?

Friction can slow down the motion of the sphere/disk rolling down an incline. The amount of friction depends on the roughness of the surface and the weight of the sphere/disk.

Can the speed of the sphere/disk be calculated using its acceleration down the incline?

Yes, the speed of the sphere/disk can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (usually 0 m/s), a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken to roll down the incline.