Motion of Sphere Rolling Down Rotating Cone

qianqian07
Homework Statement
See image below
Relevant Equations
1703283666298.png

I am trying to understand the motion of the sphere in the image above, and I am a bit confused about the motion. How does the ball move down the cone? Will the rotation of the cone cause the ball to rotate with it, and which direction would the static friction be in? What does the path the ball take look like? From my understanding, if there is no friction, then the ball will just roll down the side of the cone in a straight line. However, when the friction is nonzero, how does it affect the motion, given that the cone is rotating?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this problem supposed to be solved through Newtonian or Langrangian methods?

Newtonian, if possible.

qianqian07 said:
Newtonian, if possible.
What are we solving for? There is no question posed by the problem. How about posting the entire statement of the problem?

Likes nasu and PhDeezNutz
This wasn't from a full problem, it is just a scenario that I thought of. I would just like to understand conceptually how the sphere will move and how the rotation of the cone affects it.

qianqian07 said:
... From my understanding, if there is no friction, then the ball will just roll down the side of the cone in a straight line. However, when the friction is nonzero, how does it affect the motion, given that the cone is rotating?
It seems to me that the ball would not start rolling at all, if there is no friction.
It would slide down the side of the cone, ignoring its rotation.

When the friction is nonzero, the rotational inertia of the ball needs to be considered in order to compute the acceleration, reason for which the radius and the mass of the ball are provided.

Okay, thanks everyone for the help. When there is friction between the two surfaces, by Newton's third law, there should be a force exerted on the cone as well, so it seems that there should be a torque exerted on the cone. The rotational inertia of the ball about the axis of the cone's rotation at a given height can be found using the parallel axis theorem (using the fact that the rotational inertia of the ball is ##\frac{2}{5}mr^2##). When this is known, how could I calculate the angular acceleration of the cone? If I understand correctly, the ball's acceleration depends on the cone's acceleration, and the cone's acceleration depends on the friction, which depends on the ball's acceleration. Would finding expressions for the ball or the cone's acceleration then involve some kind of system of differential equations?

The rotation of the cone is happening at constant angular speed, according to the problem.

It seems that ω will remain constant during the sphere movement, regardless of how much resistance that movement may put against that rotation.

The sphere is the only one increasing its velocity from zero, when at the apex of the cone.

Likes MatinSAR
qianqian07 said:
Would finding expressions for the ball or the cone's acceleration then involve some kind of system of differential equations?
Yes. As @Lnewqban points out, the cone is given as having constant angular velocity, but the interplay between the acceleration of the ball, its position and its velocity will lead to ODEs.
It may become airborne at some point.

Likes MatinSAR

1. How does the motion of a sphere rolling down a rotating cone differ from a stationary cone?

When a sphere rolls down a rotating cone, it experiences a combination of translational and rotational motion. The rotation of the cone adds an additional component to the motion of the sphere, causing it to follow a spiral path down the surface of the cone. In contrast, a stationary cone would only result in translational motion for the sphere.

2. What factors influence the speed at which the sphere rolls down the rotating cone?

The speed at which the sphere rolls down the rotating cone is influenced by the angle of the cone, the radius of the sphere, the friction between the sphere and the cone's surface, and the rotational speed of the cone. A steeper cone angle, larger sphere radius, higher friction, and faster rotation of the cone will generally result in a faster descent of the sphere.

3. How does the shape of the cone affect the motion of the sphere?

The shape of the cone can impact the motion of the sphere rolling down it. A sharper cone angle will result in a faster descent of the sphere, while a more gradual slope will slow down its motion. Additionally, the curvature of the cone's surface can affect the trajectory of the sphere as it rolls down.

4. What is the relationship between the rotational speed of the cone and the motion of the sphere?

The rotational speed of the cone directly affects the motion of the sphere rolling down it. A faster rotation of the cone will result in a higher velocity for the sphere, causing it to descend more quickly. Conversely, a slower rotation will lead to a slower descent of the sphere.

5. Can the motion of a sphere rolling down a rotating cone be described by any mathematical equations?

Yes, the motion of a sphere rolling down a rotating cone can be described by a combination of equations governing translational and rotational motion. These equations take into account factors such as the angle of the cone, the radius of the sphere, the friction between the sphere and the cone's surface, and the rotational speed of the cone to predict the trajectory and speed of the sphere as it rolls down the cone.