Sphere resting on a vertical wall

In summary, there is a sphere with weight W and a force P is applied on its surface to attain equilibrium, with friction present. The minimum value of P can be calculated using the equations Pmin = √3W/2 and Pmin = (√5-1)W/2. When P is at its minimum, the angle of friction maximum between the sphere and the wall can be found using the equations cos-1 (√5-1)/2 and tan-1 (√3-1)/(√5-1). The direction of the force applied, P, is perpendicular to the surface and its line of action passes through the centre of mass of the sphere. However, this conclusion is only valid when the coefficient
zorro

Homework Statement

Weight of sphere = W and a force P is applied on its surface to attain equilibrium (Friction is present). Then

1. Pmin = √3W/2
2. Pmin = (√5-1)W/2
3. When P is minimum, Angle of friction max between sphere and wall is cos-1 (√5-1)/2
4. When P is minimum, Angle of friction max between sphere and wall is tan-1 (√3-1)/(√5-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

For translational equilibrium,
W=(mu)P

I can't find a valid equation for rotational equilibrium.
Help

Attachments

• 1r68xssb.jpg
    1r68xssb.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is unclear to me.

What is unclear to you?

Abdul Quadeer said:
1. Pmin = √3W/2
2. Pmin = (√5-1)W/2

What do your two lines 1. and 2. mean? Why are they different? What is the direction of the restraining force?

This is a Multiple Choice Question (with more than one correct answer)

1. and 2. are simply different choices. You have to find out the correct choice.

Obiviously, the direction of the force applied P will be perpendicular to the surface ( we have to assume that its line of action passes through the centre of mass of the sphere)

Abdul Quadeer said:
This is a Multiple Choice Question (with more than one correct answer)

1. and 2. are simply different choices. You have to find out the correct choice.

Obiviously, the direction of the force applied P will be perpendicular to the surface ( we have to assume that its line of action passes through the centre of mass of the sphere)

I didn't get it that it was multiple choice. Ok. I don't think you can assume that theline of action of P passes through the centre of the sphere. For rotational equilibrium (I assume you mean that the sum of moments about any point must be zero) all the forces acting on the sphere must be concurrent or parallel. I suggest you draw a free body diagram with all the forces acting on the sphere.

Ok then, here is my approach-
Let the force P be applied at a distance x above the centre of mass.
For rotational equilibirum about the centre of mass,
Px = fR = [tex]\mu[/tex]PR ( since N=P )
i.e. [tex]\mu[/tex] = x/R

Now for translational equilibrium, f = W
i.e. Px/R = W
or P = WR/x

Minimising this function would not give a valid result.

The friction coef. is not given? Without it, no numerical value can be drawn I think. For example, when mu->0, P certainly is W; when mu->inf, just with a very small P, friction is large enough to hold the sphere.
By the way, I don't think the conclusion that P is horizontal is correct. P can have a vertical component to help lessening friction, which also means lessening normal force & thus horizontal component of P and P in total.

mu is certainly > 0
Yes P can also have a vertical component.
I think the question is unclear...

What I meant is that P(min) can take any value depending on mu. Say if mu is very small, then P is approximately equal to W. You should check the question again.
If you write all the equations including P(vertical), you will arrive at: [tex]P_{min}=\frac{W}{\sqrt{1+\mu^2}}[/tex]
That occurs when [tex]tan\phi = \mu[/tex]. That means: [tex]\phi = \alpha=tan^{-1}\mu[/tex] and [tex]\vec{P}_{min}[/tex] is a reflection of [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] through vertical axis through center of the sphere.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 387
I did not understand what do you mean by reflection of Pmin.

Do you mean these equations-
Pcos[tex]\phi[/tex] + Rcos [tex]\alpha[/tex] + f = W
N = Rsin [tex]\alpha[/tex] - Psin[tex]\phi[/tex]

Sorry, I was wrong earlier. This problem is tougher than I thought. At this time, I haven't arrived at the exact answer yet. Anyway just some thoughts:

[tex]\vec{R} = \vec{F} + \vec{N}[/tex] is the sum of frictional force and normal force, i.e. it is the force exerted by the wall. The torque balance condition leads to that [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] , [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] must be concurrent.

From the force balance condition:
[tex]Pcos\phi + F = W[/tex]
[tex]Psin\phi = N [/tex]
We also have: [tex]F\leq \mu N[/tex]

Therefore: [tex]P \geq \frac{W}{\mu sin\phi + cos\phi}[/tex]

Since [tex]\mu = const[/tex] , after doing some math, we arrive at:

[tex]P \geq \frac{W}{\mu sin\phi + cos\phi} \geq \frac{W}{\sqrt{1+\mu^2}}[/tex] .

So with that assumption, we have: [tex]P=P_{min}=W/\sqrt{1+\mu^2}[/tex] when [tex]tan\phi = \mu[/tex] and friction is maximum (F=uN). When friction is max, [tex]cot\alpha = \mu[/tex] and thus [tex]tan\phi = cot\alpha[/tex] . With this relation between 2 angles, plus the concurrency condition found earlier, we can see that [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] is perpendicular to [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] (not reflection!) - See picture 1.

Now here comes the trouble: As [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] must be exerted on the lower leftmost quarter of the sphere, and [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] is perpendicular to [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] , we can see that the point of concurrency M can only move in the range from C, center of the sphere, to T, top point of the sphere. That corresponds to a range of value of [tex]\alpha[/tex] and thus [tex]\mu[/tex] , as [tex]\mu = cot\alpha[/tex]: [tex]45^o \leq \alpha \leq 90^o[/tex] and [tex]0 \leq \mu \leq 1[/tex]. That means, the result we've got can only apply to cases where [tex]0 \leq \mu \leq 1[/tex]!

In practice, normally, [tex]0< \mu < 1[/tex]. However the case [tex]\mu > 1[/tex] does exist. And this is where I'm completely stumped. If we return back to the first few equations, we can see that these will hold for any cases (as long as there is equilibrium):

(1) [tex]P \geq \frac{W}{\mu sin\phi + cos\phi} \geq \frac{W}{\sqrt{1+\mu^2}}[/tex]

(2) [tex]cot\alpha \leq \mu[/tex]

The concurrency condition leads to another equation - see picture 2:

[tex]R = dtan\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\frac{sin(\theta - \phi)}{d} = \frac{sin\phi}{R}[/tex]

Thus: (3) [tex]sin(\theta - \phi)tan\alpha = sin\phi[/tex]

And a restriction of the position of [tex]\vec{P}[/tex]: (4) [tex]0^o \leq \theta \leq 90^o[/tex]

Now you have a bunch of equations + inequalities. Solving them is not an easy task. Wanna try? :biggrin:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 392
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 400
hikaru1221 said:
[tex]\vec{R} = \vec{F} + \vec{N}[/tex] is the sum of frictional force and normal force, i.e. it is the force exerted by the wall. The torque balance condition leads to that [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] , [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] must be concurrent.

I don't get that.
If we consider the net torque about COM,
Pd1 = Rd2 (d1 and d2 are perpendicular distances from COM)

How do we conclude that the three forces must be concurrent?

Even if we don't use the concurrency condition, we get
[tex]tan\phi = cot\alpha[/tex]
and using slopes of both the lines we find that they are perpendicular.

Last edited:
Abdul Quadeer said:
I don't get that.
If we consider the net torque about COM,
Pd1 = Rd2 (d1 and d2 are perpendicular distances from COM)

How do we conclude that the three forces must be concurrent?

Suppose that [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] meets [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] at point A. Therefore, their torques about this point are zero. The torque about A of the only force left, [tex]\vec{P}[/tex], must also be zero, i.e. [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] also has to pass through A. Therefore, the 3 vectors are concurrent.

Notice that this only applies to a system of 3 forces. If there is another 4th force [tex]\vec{Q}[/tex], then that sum of torques about A of [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{Q}[/tex] is zero doesn't result in that torque about A of [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] alone is zero.

Even if we don't use the concurrency condition, we get
[tex]tan\phi = cot\alpha[/tex]
and using slopes of both the lines we find that they are perpendicular.

What I meant is that the result should be that they are perpendicular, not reflection.

The concurrency condition, plus the fact that [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] are perpendicular to each other, leads to that the intersection point M of [tex]\vec{P}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] must lie on the vertical line joining C and T (so that [tex]\vec{W}[/tex] also goes through M).

Thanks a lot hikaru1221 ( I wrote the numbers too :biggrin:)

What is the force acting on the sphere?

The force acting on the sphere is the weight of the sphere, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

Will the sphere roll or slide down the wall?

It will depend on the coefficient of friction between the sphere and the wall. If the coefficient of friction is high enough, the sphere will roll down the wall. If the coefficient of friction is low, the sphere will slide down the wall.

How do you calculate the normal force on the sphere?

The normal force on the sphere is equal to the component of the weight of the sphere perpendicular to the wall. It can be calculated using trigonometry.

Can the sphere stay at rest on the wall indefinitely?

No, unless there is a force keeping the sphere in place, it will eventually roll or slide down the wall due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the stability of the sphere on the wall?

The stability of the sphere on the wall is affected by the coefficient of friction, the angle at which the wall is tilted, and the shape and size of the sphere. A larger and more spherical sphere will generally be more stable on the wall.