Block held at rest against a vertical wall by a horizontal force

In summary, the normal force on the block in part (a) is 100 N, making the frictional force 40.0 N. In part (b), the minimum horizontal force needed to prevent the block from falling is 123. N, but the static coefficient of friction could be larger in this case, meaning the required force could be greater.
Magagagag

Homework Statement

A 5.00-kg block is held at rest against a vertical wall by a horizontal force of 100 N. (a) What is the frictional force exerted by the wall on the block? (b) What is the minimum horizontal force needed to prevent the block from falling if the static coefficient of friction between the wall and the block is 0.400?

Homework Equations

F=ma
FS=FNμS

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Taking the normal force on the block to be 100 N, the frictional force should be 100μS or 40.0 N. This answer is wrong. Where am I screwing up? I probably shouldn't need μS for this part since it isn't given to me until part (b).
(b) 5.00g-FS=5.00g-FN*0.400=0, so FN=123. N. This answer is correct, but if the block is held at rest by a force of 100 N, then how can that be?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces will be acting vertically on the block apart from the friction?

Likes Magagagag
The gravitational force will, but how does that play into part (a)?

What does Newton's laws say about objects at rest?

Likes Magagagag
Orodruin said:
What does Newton's laws say about objects at rest?
An object at rest will stay at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. In order for it to stay at rest, The friction and gravitational forces must be equal. I still don't see where I went wrong! And if the 123. N force is the minimum required to keep the object at rest, then how does a 100. N force hold it at rest in part (a)!?

It could have a larger coefficient of friction. Remember that you were not given the hypothetical coefficient of friction until (b). Even if the coefficient of friction had been one in (a), the force would have been the same. That the friction can be a maximum value does not imply that it has that value when the object is at rest. (Consider a block on top of a table, the table could likely provide more normal force but does not since it is a reactive force.)

Likes Magagagag
Orodruin said:
It could have a larger coefficient of friction. Remember that you were not given the hypothetical coefficient of friction until (b). Even if the coefficient of friction had been one in (a), the force would have been the same. That the friction can be a maximum value does not imply that it has that value when the object is at rest. (Consider a block on top of a table, the table could likely provide more normal force but does not since it is a reactive force.)
Thank you! I think I get it now.

1. What is the meaning of "block held at rest" in this context?

In this context, "block held at rest" means that the block is not moving and is in a state of equilibrium.

2. How is the block held against the wall by the horizontal force?

The block is held against the wall by the horizontal force because the force exerted by the wall on the block is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the horizontal force.

3. Can the block remain at rest if the horizontal force is removed?

No, if the horizontal force is removed, the block will no longer be held against the wall and will start to move in the opposite direction due to the force of gravity.

4. What other factors can affect the equilibrium of the block held at rest?

Other factors that can affect the equilibrium of the block include the weight of the block, the friction between the block and the wall, and the strength of the wall.

5. How can the horizontal force be calculated to keep the block at rest?

The horizontal force can be calculated using the formula F = μmg, where μ is the coefficient of friction between the block and the wall, m is the mass of the block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The force should be equal to or greater than this value to keep the block at rest against the wall.