Frictional force on a block held against a vertical wall

In summary, a 5kg block is held against a vertical wall by a 100 Newton horizontal force. The frictional force exerted by the wall on the block is approximately 49.1 Newtons. To prevent the block from falling, a minimum horizontal force of 122.8 Newtons is needed due to the static coefficient of friction between the wall and the block.
freddyeddyjor
1. A 5kg block is held at rest against a vertical wall by a horizontal force of 100 Newtons.
1-What is the frictional force exerted by the wall on the block
2-What is the minimum horizontal force needed to prevent the block from falling if the static coefficient of friction between the wall and the block is μs = .4

Homework Equations

MAx = Right forces- Left Forces ( This is a homemade equation, basically the forces pushing from the wall are subtracted from the forces pushing against the wall.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to proceed with this problem. I know that for part 1, the frictional force should be about 49.1n, this comes from the equation shown above. If right forces- left forces= 0, then there is no movement, and therefore they must be equal. So 5kg*9.81m/s = 49.05N
The second part is what confuses me, I fail to see a way to incorporate the friction coefficient into the problem in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
freddyeddyjor said:
The First part is where I am stuck. I am unsure how to put the coefficient of friction into the problem in a meaningful way.
You don't need the coefficient of friction for the first part. Hint: The block is in equilibrium.

freddyeddyjor said:
The second part is what confuses me, I fail to see a way to incorporate the friction coefficient into the problem in a meaningful way.
You know how large the frictional force needs to be from the first part. If the horizontal force is reduced, what does that do to the max frictional force available? At what point will it the available frictional force equal the required frictional force?

I think the part you're missing is that the frictional force is determined by:

Friction force = μs * Normal force

In this case you start out with the normal force pushing against the wall at 100N, but how low could it go before the block fell down?

So I should set μk*Fn= Frictional Force exerted by the wall.
.4*FN = 49.1
Fn = 122.8 (about)

That actually makes a lot of sense, thank you all.

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface.

2. How is frictional force measured?

Frictional force is measured by the coefficient of friction, which is a unitless value determined by the type of surfaces in contact and the force pressing them together.

3. How does frictional force affect the motion of a block held against a vertical wall?

The frictional force between the block and the wall will oppose the motion of the block. This means that the block will experience a force pushing it towards the wall, making it more difficult to move away from the wall.

4. Can the frictional force on a block held against a vertical wall be greater than the weight of the block?

Yes, the frictional force can be greater than the weight of the block. This is known as static friction, which is the maximum amount of force that can be exerted by a surface in order to prevent an object from sliding.

5. How can frictional force be reduced on a block held against a vertical wall?

Frictional force can be reduced by using a lubricant between the block and the wall, by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, or by reducing the force pressing the two surfaces together.