1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical and cylindrical unit vectors - probably really short and trivial?

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    I have this problem i've been stuck with for a long time and i cant figure out what to do.

if spherical coordinates are denoted (r,θ,ϕ) and cylindrical coordinates are denoted (ρ,ϕ,z), how do i express the radial unit vector in cylindrical coordinates, e(ρ), in terms of the spherical unit vectors (e(r), e(θ), e(ϕ)) corresponding to the same point?

what i have tried is rewriting the spherical and cylindrical coordinates in terms of cartesians (x,y,z) and equating them, like this (the list goes cartesian, spherical, cylindrical):

x = rsin(θ)cos(ϕ) = ρcos(ϕ)
    y = rsin(θ)sin(ϕ) = ρsin(θ)
    z = rcos(θ) = z

which gives the result ρ = rsin(θ),
    from which i said e(ρ) = e(r)sin(θ). im not even sure this is right.

then i hit a dead end. can anybody help me out, this is really getting on my nerves now.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You need to project e(p) onto each spherical unit vector. So the radial (I reserve the term planar radial for p-vector) component is (e(p) (dot) e(r))e(r). Same goes for the rest.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?