Spherical coordinates confusion

In summary, there are two sets of coordinates that can be used to describe points in 3D space: oblate spheroidal coordinates and spherical coordinates. While both use the same formula for x and y, the difference lies in the formula for z and the range of values for phi. The second set, oblate spheroidal coordinates, is used when the oblate spheroid is approximated as a sphere. The phi angle is measured relative to the XY plane instead of the Z axis. However, some articles use a slightly different formula for z, which may not match the definition of oblate spheroidal coordinates. The use of rho instead of r and the phi angle measured relative to the Z axis are also variations in
kkz23691
I am accustomed to
##x=rcos(\theta)sin(\phi)##
##y=rsin(\theta)sin(\phi)##
##z=rcos(\phi)##
##-\pi<\theta<\pi##, ##-\pi/2 < \phi < \pi/2##

but see some people using these instead
##x=rcos(\theta)cos(\phi)##
##y=rsin(\theta)cos(\phi)##
##z=rsin(\phi)##
##-\pi<\theta<\pi##, ##-\pi/2 < \phi < \pi/2##

Have you seen this before?
The second set seems to be "oblate spheroidal coordinates" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroidal_coordinates) in the limit where the oblate spheroid is actually a sphere (the argument of the hyperbolic sin/cos is large enough so that
##asinh(\mu)=acosh(\mu)=r=\mbox{const}##

Does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks jedishrfu, I just checked one article that uses these and indeed, the ##\phi## angle is relative to the XY-pane! Also, some use
x=rcos(θ)cos(ϕ)
y=rsin(θ)cos(ϕ)
z=-rsin(ϕ)
−π<θ<π, −π/2<ϕ<π/2
which probably work fine, even though the "minus" sign in z doesn't match the definition of "oblate spheroidal coordinates" (because the hyperbolic functions are assumed positive there)

If
z=-rsin(ϕ)

doesn't seem right, please post.

I have always seen [itex]\rho[/itex] rather than r but using [itex]\phi[/itex] to mean the angle a line from the origin to the point makes with the z-axis is a "mathematics" notation while using [itex]\theta[/itex] for that is a "physics" notation.

Yes HallsofIvy certainly agree with you! What was new to me - measuring the inclination w/respect to xy-plane; I guess this is a "geography" notation :)

What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin (r), an angle from the z-axis (θ), and an angle from the x-axis (φ).

How do spherical coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

While Cartesian coordinates use the x, y, and z axes to define a point, spherical coordinates use distance, inclination, and azimuth angles. This allows for a more natural representation of points in three-dimensional space.

Why do people get confused about spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates can be confusing because they are not as commonly used as Cartesian coordinates. Additionally, the use of angles instead of straight lines can be difficult for some people to visualize.

What is the purpose of using spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are useful for describing points in three-dimensional space that have spherical symmetry, such as objects like planets or stars. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering calculations.

How can I convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = r sin(θ) cos(φ)
y = r sin(θ) sin(φ)
z = r cos(θ)
To convert from Cartesian to spherical coordinates, you can use the following equations:
r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)
θ = arccos(z/r)
φ = arctan(y/x)