Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spherical Geometry (Two dimension ) Defining a metric

1. Dec 27, 2017 #1
    I am trying to understand how to define a metric for a positively curved two-dimensional space.

I am reading a book and in there it says,

On the surface of a sphere, we can set up a polar coordinate system by picking a pair of antipodal points to be the “north pole” and “south pole” and by picking a geodesic from the north to south pole to be the “prime meridian”. If ##r## is the distance from the north pole, and ##θ## is the azimuthal angle measured relative to the prime meridian, then the distance ds between a point ##(r,θ)## and another nearby point ##(r+dr,θ+dθ)## is given by the relation
    $$ds^2 = dr^2 + R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ^2$$
    where ##R## is the readius of the sphere.

If I think ,flat two dimensional space the metric will be;
    $$ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2dθ^2$$

I know the derivation of this so it gives me a bit clue about it,
    In this case

upload_2017-12-27_15-50-22.png
    So in positively curved space instead of ##rdθ## we will have ##R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ## which its kind of obvious.

So anyone who can help to understand the concept maybe an image ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I am not sure I understand what your question is.

4. Dec 27, 2017 #3
    I didnt understand where the $$ds^2 = dr^2 + R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ^2$$ comes from. Like It writes there yes but I cant make a picture in my head...In example why there is sin function ?

5. Dec 27, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Consider a circle on the sphere around one of the poles of radius ##r##. What would be the circumference of this circle?

6. Dec 27, 2017 #5
    upload_2017-12-27_18-44-32.png

So I guess I find it, here ##k=Rsin(\frac {r}{R})## cause when we set ##r=R## we should get a ##k=R##.

So $$ds^2 = dr^2 + R^2sin^2(\frac {r}{R})dθ^2$$

In here its actually ##ds^2 = dr^2 + k^2dθ^2## ?

7. Dec 27, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

When you set ##r = R## you have an angle from the pole that corresponds to one radian and so you get ##R \sin(1~\mbox{rad})## as your ##k##. Note that the ##r## you have marked in the figure is not the ##r## coordinate or the radius of the circle along the sphere's surface. The ##r## coordinate is the distance from the pole along the surface of the sphere.

8. Dec 27, 2017 #7
    I need an image I guess..I am unfamilier with polar coordinates.Its hars for me to describe and understand in those terms.

9. Dec 27, 2017 #8
    ##sin(r)## ? where ##0≤0≤π## ?

10. Dec 27, 2017 #9
    ##sin(r)## ? where ##0≤0≤π## ?

11. Dec 27, 2017 #10
    Is this metric can be also described as;

##ds^2=dr^2+sin^2(r)dθ^2## ?

12. Dec 27, 2017 #11

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Polar coordinates on the sphere work just as polar coordinates in a plane. You refer to a point by using the distance ##r## and direction ##\theta## from the origin.

13. Dec 27, 2017 #12
    I guess I understand, For a case where unit circle ##ds^2=dr^2+sin^2(r)dθ^2## this is true. If we take a part of a circle in this sphere then the radius of the sphere will be ##sin(r)##. But since its not a unit circle, the radius of a given circle in the sphere will be, ##Rsin(\frac {r} {R})## so then It turns just a normal circle metric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted