Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical harmonics & Mathematica

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    I'm calculating the zz Component for the quadruple tensor.

[tex] Q_{zz} = 3cos^2\theta-1 [/tex](r=1 in this case), and the [tex] Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi) [/tex] would be l=2, m=0.

I would like to calculate the result in either maple or mathematica - I have not used either very much - I want to check the result using the wigner-eckhart theorem against this - and if anyone feels like offering input here as well, much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what your question is but, in the meantime, I think you intended to say quadrupole.
  4. Nov 26, 2005 #3
    Yes, though even from mathworld it is spelled as I used: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Quadruple.html

My question was lame, or showed off how ignorant I am - I am quite rusty - and realized how to do this in mathematica, and in addition sloughed through until I could use the wigner-eckhart theorem.

The integral was solved basically fiddling around with the spherical harmonic recursion relations (cosine * spherical harmonic).
  5. Nov 26, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wolfram's "quadruple" refers to an entirely different concept.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?