1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical harmonics & Mathematica

1. Nov 21, 2005 #1
    I'm calculating the zz Component for the quadruple tensor.

[tex] Q_{zz} = 3cos^2\theta-1 [/tex](r=1 in this case), and the [tex] Y_{lm}(\theta,\phi) [/tex] would be l=2, m=0.

I would like to calculate the result in either maple or mathematica - I have not used either very much - I want to check the result using the wigner-eckhart theorem against this - and if anyone feels like offering input here as well, much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what your question is but, in the meantime, I think you intended to say quadrupole.

4. Nov 26, 2005 #3
    Yes, though even from mathworld it is spelled as I used: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Quadruple.html

My question was lame, or showed off how ignorant I am - I am quite rusty - and realized how to do this in mathematica, and in addition sloughed through until I could use the wigner-eckhart theorem.

The integral was solved basically fiddling around with the spherical harmonic recursion relations (cosine * spherical harmonic).

5. Nov 26, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wolfram's "quadruple" refers to an entirely different concept.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?