Can Python and R be used for data science techniques?

In summary, both languages are great for data science, and have large communities of users who can help you with your questions.
Vrbic
Hello,
I use Wolfram Mathematica (WM) for my calculation but I'm not much familiar with neural networks, machine learning, etc. On the other hand, I know that WM includes such tools. I would like to learn this stuff just for operating on this level. I read some tutorials and I would like to try some practical problem.
1) What do you mean about these tools in WM? Is it reasonable to use for practical problems or it is just some "game"?

2) I would like to try to apply these tools to predict tennis matches. I read something about functions (I write function names with the first capital letter): Predict, Classify, TimeSeriesForecast, etc. But practically I need some combination of these functions. I have enough data, the results of many players. I suggested input of learning data like (vector_palyer1),(vector_player2) -> (result) or something like that and then for prediction input (vectro_player1),(vector_player2) and output (results). I would like to predict "a future", learn from previous results. Not just classify data.
a) This input is definitely not good, because if I always give the winner as "player1", I assume that the network will learn to evaluate the first input as the winner. Sorting a player randomly doesn't come as a good idea. Does exist some good idea or function for such case?
b) Is such a problem reasonably solvable by WM?

Thank you for all comments or suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know enough about Mathematica to comment on it, but if there are packages available, then you could probably do it in that. I'm sure Mathematica has some sort of user forum which may be able to help.

I am learning about data science techniques, right now. Two popular languages are Python and R.
Both are open source and free to download.
There are large communities for both, to ask questions.

Just some thoughts.

Likes Vrbic

1. What are the potential applications of neural networks?

Neural networks have a wide range of applications, including image recognition, natural language processing, speech recognition, prediction and forecasting, and robotics control, among others.

2. Can neural networks be used for unsupervised learning?

Yes, neural networks can be used for both supervised and unsupervised learning. Unsupervised learning uses data without labeled outputs, and the neural network finds patterns and relationships on its own.

3. What are the advantages of using neural networks over traditional machine learning methods?

Neural networks have the ability to handle complex and non-linear relationships in data, making them more accurate and efficient for tasks such as image and speech recognition. They also have the ability to learn and adapt from new data, making them more flexible.

4. Are there any limitations to neural networks?

One limitation of neural networks is that they require a large amount of data to train and can be computationally expensive. They also have a tendency to overfit on the training data, which can lead to poor performance on new data.

5. Can neural networks be used for real-time applications?

Yes, with advancements in technology and hardware, neural networks can now be used for real-time applications. This includes tasks such as autonomous driving, real-time speech translation, and real-time image and video processing.