Spider free mount for secondary mirror

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, a curved arm spider scope will spread the diffracted light through different angles, making it fainter. However, a straight edge "bends" the light in one direction only, Hence the bright, directional diffraction spikes that are common with straight-edge spiders.
vincentm
Is there any kits i can purchase? I'd like to avoid diffraction as much as possible.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The only alternative (except possibly magnetic leviation) would be to stick it on a sheet of plane glass.

mgb_phys said:
The only alternative (except possibly magnetic leviation) would be to stick it on a sheet of plane glass.

See, that's what i'd like to do, but where would i be able to purchase the rings to keep it in place?

Your best bet is to look into a spider with smoothly curved arms. If you fastened a secondary to an optical flat, you would introduce two more air-glass surfaces and decrease the contrast of your scope. Curve-arm spiders have been in use for many years.

turbo-1 said:
Your best bet is to look into a spider with smoothly curved arms. If you fastened a secondary to an optical flat, you would introduce two more air-glass surfaces and decrease the contrast of your scope. Curve-arm spiders have been in use for many years.

Ok, that makes sense turbo, I've purchased all the parts in order to make mine curved (hack saw blades via the scopemaking.net guide), i was just curious about pursuing this route.

What's the advantage of using a curved spider arm over a straight one?

tony873004 said:
What's the advantage of using a curved spider arm over a straight one?

The difraction spikes instead of being distinct crosses around each star will be smeared out. Since each point in the spider will create a weaker diffraction spike at a different rotation angle.

Overall it's poorer signal to noise, but it looks clearer for naked eye observations.

Curved arms would spread the diffracted light through different angles (i.e. a larger area), making it fainter. A straight edge "bends" the light in one direction only, hence the bright, directional diffraction spikes that are common with straight-edge spiders.

mgb_phys said:

Or sell your current telescope and buy a Catadioptric telescope which has a weak, correcting front lens on which the secondary is mounted.

I've been intrigued by off axis mirror designs for a number of years. They are capable of views rivaling, or even surpassing the finest refractors. Unfortunately they are difficult to make and have existed only among the ranks of the most ambitious and gifted amateur telescope makers until fairly recently Some commercial models are now available - e.g., http://users.erols.com/dgmoptics/indexwelcome

1. What is a spider free mount for a secondary mirror?

A spider free mount for a secondary mirror is a type of mounting system that holds the secondary mirror in a telescope without the use of a traditional spider. The spider is the metal framework that holds the secondary mirror and its support vanes in place. A spider free mount eliminates this framework, allowing for better light transmission and a clearer view.

2. How does a spider free mount affect the performance of a telescope?

A spider free mount can improve the performance of a telescope by reducing diffraction and increasing light transmission. Without the obstruction of a spider, the secondary mirror is able to gather more light and produce a sharper image.

3. What are the advantages of a spider free mount for a secondary mirror?

The main advantage of a spider free mount is improved image quality. As mentioned before, it allows for better light transmission and reduces diffraction, resulting in a sharper and clearer view. Additionally, a spider free mount can also reduce the weight of a telescope, making it easier to transport and set up.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a spider free mount for a secondary mirror?

One potential disadvantage of a spider free mount is cost. These mounting systems can be more expensive than traditional spider mounts. Additionally, a spider free mount may require more maintenance and adjustments to keep the secondary mirror in proper alignment.

5. Can a spider free mount be used on any telescope?

Not all telescopes are compatible with a spider free mount for a secondary mirror. This type of mounting system is most commonly found on high-end telescopes and may not be available for all models. It is important to check with the manufacturer or a knowledgeable salesperson to determine if a spider free mount is suitable for your telescope.