• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Spin 1 Particle in a time dependant magnetic field

• Thread starter richyw
  • Start date

Homework Statement

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1483071_10151813160569290_1331827985_n.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\left|\psi ,t\right\rangle=\sum_i c_i(t)e^{-\frac{i E_n t}{\hbar}}\left|n\right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm quite lost on how to even start this. I can work out that the hamiltonian is[tex]H(t)=\gamma S_z B(t)[/tex]Then I tried to put that into the time-dependant shrodinger equation. [tex]-i\hbar \frac{d}{dt}\left|\psi(t)\right\rangle=H(t)\left|\psi(t)\right\rangle[/tex]but I am not really sure if this is correct or even how to begin solving this.

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm quite lost on how to even start this. I can work out that the hamiltonian is[tex]H(t)=\gamma S_z B(t)[/tex]Then I tried to put that into the time-dependant shrodinger equation. [tex]-i\hbar \frac{d}{dt}\left|\psi(t)\right\rangle=H(t)\left|\psi(t)\right\rangle[/tex]but I am not really sure if this is correct or even how to begin solving this.
I think you're on the right track. After substituting the given expression for |ψ(t)> into the Schrodinger equation, you should be able to get a differential equation for each coefficient ci(t).

I'm still stuck on this one actually. I don't think I am substituting [itex]\left|\psi ,t \right\rangle[/itex] into the equation properly. How to I get [itex]\psi (t)[/itex] from [itex]\left|\psi ,t \right\rangle[/itex]?

wait, can I say[tex]\left| \psi ,t \right\rangle=c_1(t)\left| 1,1 \right\rangle+c_2(t)\left| 1,0 \right\rangle+c_3(t)\left| 1,-1 \right\rangle[/tex][tex]\left| \psi ,t \right\rangle=c_1(t)\left(\begin{matrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{matrix}\right)+c_2(t)\left(\begin{matrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{matrix}\right)+c_3(t)\left(\begin{matrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{matrix}\right)[/tex][tex]\left| \psi ,t \right\rangle=\left(\begin{matrix} c_1(t) \\ c_2(t) \\ c_3(t)\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

and then [tex]i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}\left| \psi ,t \right\rangle=\gamma B(t) S_z\left| \psi ,t \right\rangle[/tex]

[tex]i\hbar \left(\begin{matrix} c'_1(t) \\ c'_2(t) \\ c'_3(t)\end{matrix}\right)=\hbar\gamma B(t)\left(\begin{matrix}1 & 0&0\\0&0&0\\0&0&-1\\\end{matrix}\right)\left(\begin{matrix} c_1(t) \\ c_2(t) \\ c_3(t)\end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

and then get [tex]c'_1(t)=-i\gamma B(t) c_1(t)[/tex][tex]c'_2(t)=0[/tex][tex]c'_3(t)=i\gamma B(t) c_3(t)[/tex]

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes, that looks good. Just have to solve each of these equations.

Likes 1 person