1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spinors in d dimensions and Clifford algebra

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I bought a book on susy and there is a chapter on spinors in d-dimensions.
    Now, maybe I am extremely dumb but I just can't understand the first few lines!

EDIT: I was being very dumb except that I think there is a typo...See below...

BEGINNING OF QUOTE

Consider a d-dimensional vector space V over the field F for which we shall choose two alternatives F=R or F=C. Let Q be a quadratic form on V:

[tex] Q:x \in V \rightarrow Q(x) \in F [/tex]

This defines a symmetric scalar product

[tex] \phi(x,y) \equiv xy + yx = Q(x+y) - Q(x) - Q(y) [/tex]

In particular, for [tex] e_\mu , \mu = 1 \ldots d,[/tex] a basis of V, orthogonal with respect to Q, we then have

[tex]
    e_\mu e_\nu + e_\nu e_\mu = 2 \delta_{\mu \nu} Q(e_\mu) \cdot 1 ~~~(3.1)[/tex]

The associative algebra with unit element generated by the [itex] e_\mu [/itex] with the defining relation (3.1) is called the Clifford algebra C(Q) of the quadratic form Q. The dimension of C(Q) is [itex] 2^d [/itex]

END OF QUOTE

Questions:

1) What does it mean to say that the basis is orthogonal with respect to Q? Does that mean [tex] Q(e_\mu + e_\nu) = 0 [/tex] unless mu = nu? Or is that a typo an dhe meant to write orthogonal with respect to [tex] \phi [/tex], not Q?

2) No matter what I try I don't see how to get from the definition of phi to equation 3.1!

EDIT: I THINK I GOT IT

Just as I posted I think that I finally understood.

First, I think the author really meant that the basis is orthogonal with respect to phi and not Q. In that case, we get

[tex] \delta_{\mu \nu} (Q(2 e_\mu) - Q(e_\mu) - Q(e_\mu)) [/tex]

since the form is quadratic, this gives

[tex] \delta_{\mu \nu} (4 Q( e_\mu) - Q(e_\mu) - Q(e_\mu)) = 2 \delta_{\mu \nu} Q(e_\mu)[/tex]

For some reason it just clicked after I posted my question!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    I think i like the book...Who is the author of that book?? How can i buy it too??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?