[Spivak Calculus, Ch. 5 P. 9] Showing equality of two limits

  • Thread starter Thread starter WisheDeom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
WisheDeom
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} f(a+h)##.

Homework Equations



By definition, if ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = l## then for every ##\epsilon > 0## there exists some ##\delta_1## such that for all x, if ##0<|x-a|<\delta_1## then ##|f(x)-l|<\epsilon##.

Similarly, if ##\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} f(a+h) = m## then for every ##\epsilon > 0## there exists some ##\delta_2## such that for all h, if ##0<|h-0|<\delta_2## then ##|f(a+h)-m|<\epsilon##.

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really not sure how to go from here. I think maybe I need to perform a proof by contradiction by assuming that ##l \neq m##, but I don't know what kind of contradiction I'm looking for.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to prove that if the LHS has some limit l, then the RHS also has that same limit, and vice versa.
 
Edit: actually, not quite sure what he's asking for here.