1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If f(x) -> oo and g(x) -> c, prove that f(x)+g(x) -> oo

1. Jan 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = \infty ## and ## \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x) = c ##, then prove that
    $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) +g(x) = \infty $$

2. Relevant equations
    Epsilon Delta definition of limit

3. The attempt at a solution
    I will take two cases here.
    Case 1. ## c \geqslant 0##
    Let ##M>0## be arbitrary. Then ## 2M > 0##. Since we have ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = \infty ## , ##\exists~\delta_1 >0 ## such that
    $$ \forall~x \in D(f) \left[ 0 < |x-a| < \delta_1 \rightarrow f(x) > 2M \right] \cdots\cdots (1)$$
    Where, ##D(f)## is the domain of function ##f##. We also have ##\frac M 2 > 0##. Since ## \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x) = c ##, ##\exists~\delta_2 >0 ## such that
    $$ \forall~x \in D(g) \left[ 0 < |x-a| < \delta_2 \rightarrow |g(x)-c| < \frac M 2 \right] \cdots\cdots (2)$$
    where ##D(g)## is the domain of function ##g##. Now let ##\delta = \text{min}(\delta_1, \delta_2)##. Let ##x_1 \in D(f+g)## be arbitrary. And also suppose that ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta ##. Since ##x_1 \in D(f+g)##, we have that ## x_1 \in D(f) ## and ## x_1 \in D(g) ##. Also since ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta ##, from the definition of
    ##\delta##, it implies that ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta_1## and ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta_2 ##. So we can conclude from the equation 1 and 2 that, ## f(x_1) > 2M## and ## |g(x_1) -c| < \frac M 2##. It follows that $$ c - \frac M 2 < g(x_1) < c + \frac M 2$$ $$\therefore f(x_1) + c - \frac M 2 <f(x_1)+ g(x_1) < f(x_1) + c + \frac M 2 \cdots\cdots(3)$$ But we have ##f(x_1) > 2M##, so ##f(x_1) - \frac M 2 > \frac{3M}{2}##. This leads to ## f(x_1) - \frac M 2 + c > \frac{3M}{2} + c##. Since ## c \geqslant 0##, we get ## \frac{3M}{2} + c \geqslant \frac{3M}{2} > M##. We conclude that ## f(x_1) - \frac M 2 + c > M##. Using this in equation ##(3)##, we have $$ M < f(x_1) + c - \frac M 2 < f(x_1)+ g(x_1)$$ So we conclude that ## f(x_1)+ g(x_1) > M ##. Since ##M## and ##x_1## are arbitrary, we conclude that $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) +g(x) = \infty $$ Now we proceed to the case 2.
    Case 2. ## c<0##
    Again let ##M > 0## be arbitrary. So we have ##-2c >0## and ##2M >0##. So ##2M - 2c >0##. Since we have ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = \infty ## , ##\exists~\delta_1 >0 ## such that $$ \forall~x \in D(f) \left[ 0 < |x-a| < \delta_1 \rightarrow f(x) > (2M-2c) \right] \cdots\cdots (4)$$ Where, ##D(f)## is the domain of function ##f##. Since ##-c>0##, and since ## \lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x) = c ##, ##\exists~\delta_2 >0 ## such that $$ \forall~x \in D(g) \left[ 0 < |x-a| < \delta_2 \rightarrow |g(x)-c| < -c \right] \cdots\cdots (5)$$ where ##D(g)## is the domain of function ##g##. Now let ##\delta = \text{min}(\delta_1, \delta_2)##. Let ##x_1 \in D(f+g)## be arbitrary. And also suppose that ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta ##. Since ##x_1 \in D(f+g)##, we have that ## x_1 \in D(f) ## and ## x_1 \in D(g) ##. Also since ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta ##, from the definition of ##\delta##, it implies that ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta_1## and ## 0 < |x-a| < \delta_2 ##. So we can conclude from the equation 4 and 5 that, ## f(x_1) > 2M-2c ## and ## |g(x_1) -c| < -c ##. So we get ## c < g(x_1) - c < -c##. Which is ## 2c < g(x_1) < 0 ##. Therefore, ## f(x_1) + 2c < f(x_1) + g(x_1)##. Since## f(x_1) > 2M-2c ##, we have $$ M< 2M < f(x_1)+2c < f(x_1) + g(x_1)$$ From here we conclude that ## f(x_1) + g(x_1) > M##. Since ##M## and ##x_1## are arbitrary, we conclude that $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) +g(x) = \infty $$ So we have proven this for both cases and hence ##\forall ~c \in \mathbb{R}##, we can say that $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) +g(x) = \infty $$ Can you check if this is OK!
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2017 #2
    Seems correct to me but I don't see the reason you introduce ##x_1##, you should just say that for every x such that ##0<|x-a|<\delta## and proceed with x instead of x1.

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    Well Delta, Since we have a universal quantifier in the limit definition, I choose an arbitrary ##x_1## and then proceed to prove the statement inside that quantifier. After we prov the statement , then we can say that the statement is true for arbitrary ##x_1##, it is true for every x in the domain

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4
    Ok then I see a little mistake you say ##x_1## arbitrary but it isn't completely arbitrary it is such that ##0<|x_1-a|<\delta## so that (1) (2) or (4) and (5) are true for x1. You are saying this but you using x instead of x1.

6. Jan 10, 2017 #5
    Delta , I think the original goal here is to prove that $$\forall ~M >0 \exists~ \delta >0~ \forall ~x \in D(f+g)\left[ 0<|x-a| < \delta \rightarrow f(x)+g(x) > M \right] $$ So initially, I let ##M > 0## be arbitrary. Then with the choice of ##\delta## I have done, my goal becomes, $$\forall ~x \in D(f+g)\left[ 0<|x-a| < \delta \rightarrow f(x)+g(x) > M \right] $$ Since there is a universal quantifier at the beginiing, I let ## x \in D(f+g)## as arbitrary. So now the goal becomes $$0<|x-a| < \delta \rightarrow f(x)+g(x) > M $$ Since this is an implication, I assume the antecedent, ## 0<|x-a| < \delta## and then proceed to prove the consequent, which is ## f(x)+g(x) > M##.

7. Jan 10, 2017 #6
    Fine it is just that you assume the antecedent for ##x## while you prove the consequent for ##x_1##.

8. Jan 10, 2017 #7
    Actually now I see your point. I have used ##x_1## when I chose an arbitrary member in the domain , but I used ##x## in the antecedent. I should have changed that to ##x_1##. So with that error removed proof seems ok !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted