Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak Exercice, Least Upper Bounds Chapter, Proof

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    Hi there!

I always think whether I am posting this correctly, or this belongs to the homework section. If so, my apologies.

I am trying to understand the solutions for a problem in Spicak Calculus, 3[itex]^{rd}[/itex] edition.

#8-13

The Problem:

"Let A and B bt two nonempty sets of numbers which are bounded above, and let A+B denote de set of all numbers x+y, with x in A and y in B. Prove that sup(A+B) = supA+supB. Hint: The inequality sup(A+B) ≤ sup A + sup B is easy. Why? To prove that supA + supB ≤ sup(A+B) it suffices to prove that supA + supB ≤ sup(A+B) + ε for all ε >0; begin by choosing x in A, and y in B with supA - x < [itex]\frac{ε}{2}[/itex] and supB -y <[itex]\frac{ε}{2}[/itex]."

Well, proving sup(A+B) ≤ supA + supB seems to be straightforward, but it is proving that supA + supB ≤ sup(A+B) that bothers me.

The explanation in the "Answers" chapter of the book, doesn't explain very clearly anything in this exercice. So, I have tried to prove it on my own:

1 - First of all, why is it sufficient to prove that supA + supB ≤ sup(A+B) + ε for all ε >0?

supA + supB - sup(A+B) ≤ ε, for all ε > 0.
    Lets denote X = { ε : ε > 0}.
    Then X is bounded below, and it is nonempty. The greatest lower bound is 0. And, since supA + supB - sup(A+B) is also a lower bound for X, we should have
    supA + supB - sup(A+B) ≤ 0 ⇔ supA + supB ≤ sup(A+B).

2 - How do you prove that supA + supB ≤ sup(A+B) + ε for all ε >0?

If supA and supB are the greatest upper bounds for the A and B sets, respectly, then, for every ε > 0, there is an x in A , and an y in B such that:

→supA - x < [itex]\frac{ε}{2}[/itex];
    →supB - y < [itex]\frac{ε}{2}[/itex];

→supA < [itex]\frac{ε}{2}[/itex] + x;
    →supB < [itex]\frac{ε}{2}[/itex] + y;

Which means : supA + supB < ε + (x+y) ⇔ (x+y) > supA + supB - ε.. All this means, that for every ε > 0 , there is an x in A and y in B such that (x+y) > supA + supB - ε.

And finally, since sup(A+B)≥ x+y, for every x in A and y in B, we have for every ε > 0

sup(A+B) ≥ supA + supB -ε. Which, according to the first point is suffient.

Well, I feel pretty confident about this. However I would really appreciate if you could check it. I have spent way to much time around this one, and wanted to move on. ;D

Regards,

c.teixeira

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but if you show, in general, that:

x≤ y+1/n , for all n (subbing-in 1/n for ε ),

then it follows that x≤y

A way of showing this is that if x-y≤ 1/n for all n , then x≤y , by the

Archimedean Property. In a metric space,two elements cannot be

indefinitely-close ( using x-y as d(x,y) in ℝ ) , so we can conclude

x-y≤ 0 , so x≤y .

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your solution seems fine.

5. Aug 26, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Sorry, I did not read your question carefully. I agree, it seems O.K.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook