Real analysis epsilon delta problem

In summary, The conversation is about difficulties with proving limits in calculus, specifically in Chapter 5 problems 10b and 10c. There is a focus on making the solutions rigorous and choosing the appropriate values for epsilon and delta. The individual speaking also mentions using y instead of x and choosing alpha as the minimum of two values. They are unsure of how to state their reasoning rigorously.
subsonicman
I've been reading through Spivak's calculus, and the problem is the answer key i have a hold of is for a different edition so it often doesn't answer the correct questions.

Anyways, here they are:

Chapter 5 problem 10

b. Prove that lim x-> 0 f(x) = lim x-> a f(x-a)
c. Prove that lim x-> 0 f(x) = lim x-> 0 f(x^3)

I'm mainly having a problem with making my solution rigorous.

For b what I have is on the left side we know there is a α_1 for every ε so

|x| < α_1 and |f(x)-m| < ε

We can choose the same epsilon for the right side:

|x-a| < α_2 and |f(x-a)-n| < ε
So the two x's are necessarily related so I replace it in the second equation with y and I also choose α=min(α_1,α_2).

So we have:

|x| < α and |f(x)-m| < ε
|y-a| < α and |f(y-a)-n| < ε

So now I want to say something like, let y-a=x so if ε<|m-n|/2 then it is impossible for both to be fulfilled unless m=n but I'm not sure how to say that rigorously.

I have a similar problem with the next problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
For b what I have is on the left side we know there is a α_1 for every ε so

|x| < α_1 and |f(x)-m| < ε

We can choose the same epsilon for the right side:

|x-a| < α_2 and |f(x-a)-n| < ε
So the two x's are necessarily related so I replace it in the second equation with y and I also choose α=min(α_1,α_2).

You're making things too complicated at this step. For all [itex] \epsilon >0[/itex], there is a [itex] \delta[/itex] such that if [itex]|x|<\delta[/itex], then [itex] |f(x)-m|<\epsilon [/itex] for some m.

Now, if [itex] |x-a|<\delta[/itex], the above sentence immediately says that [itex] |f(x-a)-m|<\epsilon[/itex] with no additional work

1. What is the purpose of using epsilon and delta in real analysis problems?

Epsilon and delta are used in real analysis problems to define and prove the limit of a function. Epsilon represents the level of precision or accuracy desired, while delta represents the distance between the input and output values of the function.

2. How do you approach solving epsilon delta problems?

To solve an epsilon delta problem, you must first understand the definition of a limit and the properties of continuity. Then, you can start by setting up the inequality involving epsilon and delta, and manipulate it to find a suitable value for delta that satisfies the given epsilon.

3. Can you provide an example of an epsilon delta problem?

Sure, here is an example: Find the limit of the function f(x) = 2x + 3 as x approaches 5. In this case, epsilon is given as 0.1, and we need to find a corresponding delta. After setting up the inequality |2x + 3 - 13| < 0.1, we can manipulate it to get |x - 5| < 0.05. Therefore, delta = 0.05, and as long as the distance between x and 5 is less than 0.05, the output will be within 0.1 distance from the limit 13.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving epsilon delta problems?

One common mistake is to only focus on the given epsilon value and not consider the properties of continuity and the definition of a limit. Another mistake is to manipulate the inequality incorrectly, leading to an incorrect value for delta. It is also important to check if your solution works for all possible values of x, not just the given limit point.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving epsilon delta problems?

Practice, practice, practice! Solving more problems will help you become more familiar with the concepts and techniques used in epsilon delta problems. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to clarify any doubts or difficulties you may have. It is also important to understand the underlying theories and definitions, rather than just memorizing the steps to solve a problem.