Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real analysis epsilon delta problem

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    I've been reading through Spivak's calculus, and the problem is the answer key i have a hold of is for a different edition so it often doesn't answer the correct questions.

Anyways, here they are:

Chapter 5 problem 10

b. Prove that lim x-> 0 f(x) = lim x-> a f(x-a)
    c. Prove that lim x-> 0 f(x) = lim x-> 0 f(x^3)

I'm mainly having a problem with making my solution rigorous.

For b what I have is on the left side we know there is a α_1 for every ε so

|x| < α_1 and |f(x)-m| < ε

We can choose the same epsilon for the right side:

|x-a| < α_2 and |f(x-a)-n| < ε
    So the two x's are necessarily related so I replace it in the second equation with y and I also choose α=min(α_1,α_2).

So we have:

|x| < α and |f(x)-m| < ε
    |y-a| < α and |f(y-a)-n| < ε

So now I want to say something like, let y-a=x so if ε<|m-n|/2 then it is impossible for both to be fulfilled unless m=n but I'm not sure how to say that rigorously.

I have a similar problem with the next problem.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're making things too complicated at this step. For all [itex] \epsilon >0[/itex], there is a [itex] \delta[/itex] such that if [itex]|x|<\delta[/itex], then [itex] |f(x)-m|<\epsilon [/itex] for some m.

Now, if [itex] |x-a|<\delta[/itex], the above sentence immediately says that [itex] |f(x-a)-m|<\epsilon[/itex] with no additional work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook