Calculate the dual basis and tangent basis vectors

In summary: Can someone please provide some clarification?In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving the undefined value for ##tan(x/x_0)## and determining the range for x and y. The approach involves solving for x and y in terms of s and t, and obtaining dual basis vectors. There is uncertainty about the correctness of the solution and the validity of the calculations.
Karl Karlsson
Homework Statement
A coordinate system with the coordinates s and t in ##R^2## is defined by the coordinate transformations: ## s = y/y_0## and ##t=y/y_0 - tan(x/x_0)## , where ##x_0## and ##y_0## are constants.

a) Determine the area that includes the point (x, y) = (0, 0) where the coordinate system
is well defined. Express the area both in the Cartesian coordinates (x, y) and in
the new coordinates (s, t).

b) Calculate the tangent basis vectors ##\vec E_s## and ##\vec E_t## and the dual basis vectors##\vec E^s## and ##\vec E^t##

c)Determine the inner products ##\vec E_s\cdot\vec E^s##, ##\vec E_s\cdot\vec E^t##, ##\vec E_t\cdot\vec E^s## and ##\vec E_t\cdot\vec E^t##
Relevant Equations
## s = y/y_0## and ##t=y/y_0 - tan(x/x_0)## , where ##x_0## and ##y_0## are constants.
a) Since ##tan(x/x_0)## is not defined for ##x=\pm\pi/2\cdot x_0## I assume x must be in between those values therefore ##-\pi/2\cdot x_0 < x < \pi/2\cdot x_0## and y can be any real number. Is this the correct answer on a)?

b) I can solve x and y for s and t which gives me ##y=y_0\cdot s## and ##x=x_0\cdot arctan(s-t)##. ##\vec E_s = \frac {x_0} {1 + (s-t)^2}\cdot\vec e-x + y_0\cdot\vec e_y## and ##\vec E_t = - \frac { x_0} { 1 + (s-t)^2}\cdot\vec e_x##. I get the dual basis vectors from ##\vec E^s = \frac {1} {y_0}\cdot\vec e_y## and ##\vec E^t = \frac {1} {y_0}\cdot\vec e_y - \frac {1} {x_0(1+(x/x_0)^2)}\cdot\vec e_x## , is this the correct approach?

c) It was here that I really started to question if i had done correct on a and b since I get ##\vec E_s\cdot \vec E^s = 1## and##\vec E_t\cdot \vec E^s = 0##, this feels correct but then i get by just plugging in ##\vec E_t\cdot \vec E^t = \frac {x_0} {(1+(s-t)^2)(1+arctan(s-t)^2)}## and ##\vec E_s\cdot \vec E^t = 1-\frac {1} {(1+(s-t)^2)(1+arctan(s-t)^2)}##. Is this really correct? Because it feels like it is not correct.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know if above is correct or not?

Does anybody know?

I am still confused about this

1. What is the purpose of calculating the dual basis and tangent basis vectors?

The dual basis and tangent basis vectors are used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry to represent the geometric properties of a vector space. They allow us to define and manipulate vectors in a way that is independent of any specific coordinate system, making them useful for solving problems in various applications such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How do you calculate the dual basis vectors?

The dual basis vectors are calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a set of coordinate functions, which represent the coordinates of a vector in a given coordinate system. These partial derivatives are then used to construct a set of dual basis vectors that form a basis for the dual space, which is the set of all linear functionals on the original vector space.

3. What is the relationship between the dual basis and tangent basis vectors?

The dual basis and tangent basis vectors are related through the concept of duality. The dual basis vectors represent the linear functionals on the vector space, while the tangent basis vectors represent the tangent vectors to the vector space. This means that the dual basis vectors act on the tangent basis vectors to produce a scalar value, which can be thought of as the "slope" of the tangent vector at a given point.

4. Can the dual basis and tangent basis vectors be calculated for any vector space?

Yes, the dual basis and tangent basis vectors can be calculated for any vector space that has a well-defined coordinate system. This includes both finite-dimensional and infinite-dimensional vector spaces, as well as abstract vector spaces that are not necessarily associated with a physical space.

5. How are the dual basis and tangent basis vectors used in practical applications?

The dual basis and tangent basis vectors are used in practical applications to solve problems involving vectors in a coordinate-independent way. For example, in physics, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force on a particle, or in computer graphics, they can be used to transform objects in a 3D space. They are also used in differential geometry to study the properties of smooth curves and surfaces.