Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spivak's Differential Geometry I

1. May 28, 2013 #1
    Is it necessary to finish Spivak's little book to move on to Spivak's Differential Geometry I, or is the material on differential forms and integration on manifolds in Chapter's 4 and 5 of Spivak's little book covered in Differential Geometry I?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The material is all covered in his differential geometry book. However, the material is covered in a more abstract way than in his Calculus on Manifolds book. It might help to know Calculus on Manifolds in order to get intuition for what he's doing in his differential geometry book.

4. May 28, 2013 #3
    Ok, thanks very much.

5. Jun 10, 2013 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i also recommend reading the little book first. for one thing you are more likely to finish it. i love mike's book's, but personally think that (especially the first part of) vol. 1 is a little on the long and tedious side. the actual differential geometry is in volume 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook