Any value to Spivak's Differential Geometry set?

In summary, the speaker has a hardback 5 volume set of Spivak's A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry in good condition and is wondering if there is any value to the set. They have tried looking it up but have only found individual volumes for sale. However, they have found one listing for the entire set for a reasonable price and have decided to post it on eBay. The other speaker initially thought they were asking about the intellectual and pedagogic value of the set, but the first speaker clarifies that they meant monetary value. The second speaker suggests that some parts may still be of interest to the first speaker.
toozie21
I have the hardback 5 volume set of Spivak's A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry that is in pretty good shape. Is there any value to that set? I tried looking it up, but I don't really see many people selling whole sets, so I can't tell...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
toozie21 said:
I have the hardback 5 volume set of Spivak's A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry that is in pretty good shape. Is there any value to that set? I tried looking it up, but I don't really see many people selling whole sets, so I can't tell...

Thanks.

Most places seem to sell individual volumes. I found one listing that was selling the entire set:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...hensive+Introduction+to+Differential+Geometry

From looking at the prices of individual volumes, this listing looked like it was a good deal. ($175 + shipping)

Good fine. I had looked on abebooks, but didn't see that. It seems like a popular series (I really don't know much about it), but like you pointed out, it seems to almost always be sold individually.

Well, I went ahead and posted it on ebay, we shall see what turns up. Thanks.

oh you meant monetary value. since this is a math site i naturally assumed you meant intellectual and pedagogic value.

mathwonk said:
oh you meant monetary value. since this is a math site i naturally assumed you meant intellectual and pedagogic value.
Yeah, that was my fault. It seemed like a popular series and a well done setup; sadly, I am just not intelligent enough to follow it!

have you opened it? surely some parts appeal to you. you seem intelligent.

1. What is Spivak's Differential Geometry?

Spivak's Differential Geometry is a mathematical textbook series written by Michael Spivak. It covers topics in differential geometry, a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using techniques from calculus and linear algebra.

2. Is it suitable for beginners?

Spivak's Differential Geometry set is typically used as a graduate-level textbook, so it is not recommended for beginners. It assumes a strong background in advanced mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra.

3. What makes Spivak's Differential Geometry set valuable?

Spivak's Differential Geometry set is highly regarded for its comprehensive coverage of the subject and its clear and rigorous mathematical explanations. It is also known for its extensive exercises, which help students develop their problem-solving skills.

4. How many books are in the set?

The complete set consists of five books, titled Calculus on Manifolds, A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry, Topology, Curvature, and A Comprehensive Introduction to Riemannian Geometry.

5. Is it a standard reference in the field of differential geometry?

Yes, Spivak's Differential Geometry set is considered a standard reference in the field. It is widely used in universities and research institutions around the world and is highly recommended by experts in the field.