Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spliting a line segment into desired length segments (Matlab)

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    Hi Guys,

I don't know if I make sense but please try to help me.

I am working in Matlab. I have multiple line segments of different lengths with end point coordinates. I want to split each major segment into multiple minor segments in a way that all segments will have same length. 'linspace' can only control number of segments regardless of their lengths. For me, number of segments are not important, but their lenghts are important (must be equal). I want their coordinates like 'linespace' does. It is not necessary that the full length of all segments will be utilized.

For example:
    I have Major segments of:
    (1) 3KM (2) 5KM (3) 12KM (with their end points)

I want to get:
    I want to divide each major segment into multiple minor segments (say 2.5 KM each) with their coordinates.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mushi

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2
    What is a line segment? Can you give an example of your code?

4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    calculate n by dividing the major segment length by the minor length, then use linspace
    or
    use the colon operator ... 0:2.5:12

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook