How to obtain the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment?

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to geometrically obtaining a line segment with a length of 1/x using a given line segment AB with length x and an unitary segment OC, with the use of straight edge and compass. The methods mentioned include similar triangles, the hyperbola y = 1/x, and the relationship between the sine and cosecant. The conversation also touches upon the possibility of using other auxiliary curves to invert a line segment. Ultimately, it is concluded that the basic relationship for inverting a line segment is |L_2| = 1/|L_1|.
DaTario
Hi All,

Which are the ways one can geometrically obtain, given a line segment AB with length x and an unitary segment OC, a line segment with length 1/x ?

Straight edge and compass are allowed (also some auxilliary curve).

Best wishes,

DaTario

Mathematics news on Phys.org
similar.png

similar triangles

I have also found this one:

invert method old 1.jpg

That is the same approach in a different way - two similar triangles.

The traditional interpretation of "straight edge" doesn't allow it to be marked as a ruler. I don't know what "unitary segment" means.

Stephen Tashi said:
The traditional interpretation of "straight edge" doesn't allow it to be marked as a ruler. I don't know what "unitary segment" means.
You define a given length as 1.

No ruler is used.

mfb said:
That is the same approach in a different way - two similar triangles.

Ok, but one may also say that this proof is based on the relation between angular coeficient in perpendicular straight lines.

You can also say that this rule follows from the similarity of triangles - both concepts are directly connected.

mfb said:
You can also say that this rule follows from the similarity of triangles - both concepts are directly connected.

I agree.

But, apart from the hyperbola y = 1/x, which is rather obvious, is there any other auxiliary curve that can be used to invert the line segment?

DaTario said:
But, apart from the hyperbola y = 1/x, which is rather obvious, is there any other auxiliary curve that can be used to invert the line segment?
Seems like it would be fairly simple to prove that the hyperbola y = 1/x is unique in this regard.

Mark44 said:
Seems like it would be fairly simple to prove that the hyperbola y = 1/x is unique in this regard.
In some sense, the circle also can be understood as an auxiliary curve to this construction. See figure below, from point P through point T we find point P´.
figure forum circle inverter.jpg

If you're talking about the relationship between, for instance, the sine and cosecant, those all reduce to reciprocal relationships.I.e., ##\csc(x) = \frac 1 {\sin(x)}##. In other words, the same as y = 1/x.

I'm assuming that by inverting a line segment, you mean finding another segment so that the product of the lengths of the two segments is 1, then the basic relationship is ##|L_1| |L_2| = 1##, or ##|L_2| = \frac 1 {|L_1|}##

Mark44 said:
If you're talking about the relationship between, for instance, the sine and cosecant, those all reduce to reciprocal relationships.I.e., ##\csc(x) = \frac 1 {\sin(x)}##. In other words, the same as y = 1/x.

I'm assuming that by inverting a line segment, you mean finding another segment so that the product of the lengths of the two segments is 1, then the basic relationship is ##|L_1| |L_2| = 1##, or ##|L_2| = \frac 1 {|L_1|}##

Yes it is precisely so. If we graph the functions ##\csc(x)## and ##\frac 1 {\sin(x)}## it yields a method for inverting a point. Not practical, however. Pick a point O so as to obtain the line segment OP. Then, the line segment OP´naturally appears (figure below).
func inverter forum.jpg

Last edited:

1. How do you find the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment?

The inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment can be found by first determining the slope of the line. The reciprocal of the slope will give you the slope of the inverse line. Then, to find the y-intercept of the inverse line, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where b is the y-intercept. Simply plug in the slope and a point on the original line to solve for b. This will give you the equation of the inverse line in the form y = mx + b.

2. Can the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment be negative?

Yes, the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment can be negative. The sign of the inverse line's slope will depend on the sign of the original line's slope. If the original line has a positive slope, the inverse line will have a negative slope, and vice versa.

3. Is the length of the inverse (reciprocal) line segment the same as the original line segment?

No, the length of the inverse (reciprocal) line segment will generally not be the same as the original line segment. However, the two line segments will be perpendicular to each other and will intersect at the origin.

4. Can the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment be undefined?

Yes, the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment can be undefined. This will occur when the original line has a slope of 0, making the inverse line's slope undefined. In this case, the inverse line will be a vertical line passing through the x-axis at the x-coordinate of the original line's y-intercept.

5. How can the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment be used in real-life situations?

The inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the resistance in an electrical circuit or determining the optimal angle of a ramp for wheelchair accessibility. In general, it can be used to find a perpendicular line to a given line, which can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and architecture.