Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to obtain the inverse (reciprocal) of a line segment?

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    Hi All,

Which are the ways one can geometrically obtain, given a line segment AB with length x and an unitary segment OC, a line segment with length 1/x ?

Straight edge and compass are allowed (also some auxilliary curve).

Best wishes,

DaTario

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2
    similar.png
    similar triangles

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3
    I have also found this one:

invert method old 1.jpg

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is the same approach in a different way - two similar triangles.

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The traditional interpretation of "straight edge" doesn't allow it to be marked as a ruler. I don't know what "unitary segment" means.

7. Mar 11, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

You define a given length as 1.

No ruler is used.

8. Mar 11, 2017 #7
    Ok, but one may also say that this proof is based on the relation between angular coeficient in perpendicular straight lines.

9. Mar 11, 2017 #8

mfb

2016 Award

You can also say that this rule follows from the similarity of triangles - both concepts are directly connected.

10. Mar 11, 2017 #9
    I agree.

11. Mar 14, 2017 #10
    But, apart from the hyperbola y = 1/x, which is rather obvious, is there any other auxiliary curve that can be used to invert the line segment?

12. Mar 14, 2017 #11

Mark44

Seems like it would be fairly simple to prove that the hyperbola y = 1/x is unique in this regard.

13. Mar 14, 2017 #12
    In some sense, the circle also can be understood as an auxiliary curve to this construction. See figure below, from point P through point T we find point P´.
    figure forum circle inverter.jpg

14. Mar 14, 2017 #13

Mark44

If you're talking about the relationship between, for instance, the sine and cosecant, those all reduce to reciprocal relationships.I.e., ##\csc(x) = \frac 1 {\sin(x)}##. In other words, the same as y = 1/x.

I'm assuming that by inverting a line segment, you mean finding another segment so that the product of the lengths of the two segments is 1, then the basic relationship is ##|L_1| |L_2| = 1##, or ##|L_2| = \frac 1 {|L_1|}##

15. Mar 15, 2017 #14
    Yes it is precisely so. If we graph the functions ##\csc(x)## and ##\frac 1 {\sin(x)}## it yields a method for inverting a point. Not practical, however. Pick a point O so as to obtain the line segment OP. Then, the line segment OP´naturally appears (figure below). func inverter forum.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted