Splitting up of functional integral (Peskin and Schroeder)

In summary, the author suggests that the path integral can be used to derive the Feynman rules for relativistic quantum field theory.
center o bass
I'm reading about path integrals in Peskin and Schroeder's Introduction to Quantum field theory and there is a few things in the text which I find puzzling. At page 283 in the section about correlation functions we are considering the object (equation 9.15)

[tex] \int D\phi(x) \phi(x_1) \phi(x_2) \exp(i\int_{-T}^T d^4x L(\phi)).[/tex]

Then the author break up the integral into

[tex]\int D\phi_1(\vec x) \int D\phi_2(\vec x) \int_{\phi(x_1^0, \vec x) = \phi_1(\vec x), \phi(x_1^0, \vec x) = \phi_2(\vec x)} D\phi(x).[/tex]

Now that I do not have that much experience with functional integration I was wondering about the justification and reasoning behind this step. Pesking and Schroeder can be a bit brief in places. Does anyone know of any other books with a bit more detail on path integrals which also derives the Feynman rules?

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct formula reads
[tex]\int D\phi_1(\vec x) \int D\phi_2(\vec x) \int_{\phi(x_1^0, \vec x) = \phi_1(\vec x), \phi(x_2^0, \vec x) = \phi_2(\vec x)} D\phi(x).[/tex]
The idea is to first integrate over all fields with the contraints given at times [itex]x_1^0[/itex] and[itex]x_2^0[/itex] and then to integrate over all the possible field configurations at these times. The only reason to do this is to prove the Feynman-Kac formula.

I think it's easier to comprehend working with the (naive) lattice version of the path integral. The calculation is shown in the first chapter of my QFT manuscript for the easier case of first-quantized non-relativistic mechanics. The proof for the quantum-field case is the very same:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

A great book using nearly only the path-integral formulation to relativistic QFT is

Bailin, Love, Gauge Theories

Other than the title suggests, it's a nice introduction to QFT not only to gauge theories (which of course are indeed the most important QFTs :-)).

Thanks for your help! :) I will certainly check out the book and your manuscript.

1. What is the "splitting up" of a functional integral?

The "splitting up" of a functional integral refers to the process of breaking down a complicated integral into simpler integrals that are easier to solve. This is often done in quantum field theory to calculate amplitudes and probabilities of physical processes.

2. Why is the splitting up of functional integrals important in quantum field theory?

The splitting up of functional integrals allows for more efficient and accurate calculations in quantum field theory. It allows us to solve complicated integrals by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This is especially useful when dealing with perturbation theory, where integrals can become extremely complex.

3. How is the splitting up of functional integrals done in Peskin and Schroeder?

In Peskin and Schroeder, the splitting up of functional integrals is achieved using the Feynman path integral approach. This involves breaking down the integral into a series of smaller integrals over all possible paths of a particle or field. This allows for the calculation of amplitudes and probabilities in quantum field theory.

4. Can the splitting up of functional integrals be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, the splitting up of functional integrals can be used in other areas of physics, particularly in statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics. It is a powerful tool for calculating probabilities and expectation values in complex systems, such as fluids, magnets, and superconductors.

5. Are there any limitations to the splitting up of functional integrals?

While the splitting up of functional integrals is a useful technique, it does have some limitations. In some cases, the integrals may not be able to be split up into simpler parts, or the resulting integrals may still be difficult to solve. Additionally, the Feynman path integral approach may not be applicable to all physical systems, such as those with strong interactions.