Spring and Damper system for viabrations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding vibration effects on a granite countertop caused by two servo motors moving two 75 KG masses back and forth. The individual is looking for a solution and mentions considering mass damper systems and assigning a spring and damper value to the table. They are also advised to provide more information and diagrams of their setup to receive helpful assistance.
printz0r
Hi,

This is a real life problem I am trying to find vibration effects.

I have 2 servo motors constantly going back and forth on a granite countertop. The two servo motors are moving two 75 KG masses.

I am trying to solve for the vibration effects that will happen on the granite countertop and all I read about is mass damper systems.

Is there a spring and damper value that I should assign to the granite table?

How do I solve the problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
printzOr, So you want to find “the vibration effects that will happen”! I cannot tell you how to predict (solve) for them.

You might consider measuring the vibrations of the granite countertop with accelerometers, for example.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

You need to explain what "vibration effects" you are interested in, before you will get much useful help here. Some diagrams or photos of the setup might be useful to explain what the problem is.

Vibration studies are accomplished by modeling systems as "spring-mass-dampers." However it is vital to provide a diagram of your setup to see exactly what your talking about.

I would recommend approaching this problem by first understanding the fundamental principles of vibration and how it relates to the spring and damper system. The spring and damper system is a commonly used mechanical model for analyzing vibrations in various systems. In this case, the two servo motors and masses can be represented as a single mass-spring-damper system.

To solve for the vibration effects on the granite countertop, you would need to determine the natural frequency of the system, which is affected by the mass, stiffness of the spring, and damping coefficient of the damper. The natural frequency is the frequency at which the system will vibrate without any external forces applied.

Since the granite countertop is a rigid structure, it can be assumed that the spring stiffness will be very high. Therefore, the main factor to consider would be the damping coefficient of the damper. This value can be determined experimentally by measuring the amplitude of vibration at different frequencies and using the measured data to calculate the damping coefficient. Alternatively, you can also use simulation software to model the system and determine the damping coefficient.

Once you have the damping coefficient, you can then calculate the natural frequency of the system and determine the vibration effects on the granite countertop. It is important to note that the spring and damper values may vary depending on the specific setup and conditions, so it would be best to conduct further experiments or simulations to fine-tune the values for your specific system.

In summary, to solve this problem, you would need to determine the natural frequency of the system by considering the mass, spring stiffness, and damping coefficient. This can be done through experiments or simulations, and the values can be adjusted as needed to accurately predict the vibration effects on the granite countertop. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is a spring and damper system for vibrations?

A spring and damper system is a mechanical system used to control and absorb vibrations. It consists of a spring, which stores and releases energy as it is compressed and extended, and a damper, which dissipates energy by converting it into heat.

2. How does a spring and damper system work?

The spring and damper work together to reduce the amplitude of vibrations. The spring provides a restoring force, while the damper absorbs the energy from the vibrations. As the spring compresses and extends, the damper dissipates the energy, resulting in a gradual decrease in vibration amplitude.

3. What are the applications of a spring and damper system for vibrations?

A spring and damper system is commonly used in mechanical systems, such as vehicle suspensions, to reduce the effects of vibrations. It is also used in buildings and structures to reduce the impact of vibrations caused by earthquakes or strong winds.

4. How do you calculate the parameters of a spring and damper system for vibrations?

The parameters of a spring and damper system, such as the spring stiffness and damping coefficient, can be calculated using mathematical models and equations. These parameters are dependent on the properties of the system, such as the mass, stiffness, and damping of the spring and damper.

5. What are the advantages of using a spring and damper system for vibrations?

A spring and damper system can effectively reduce the amplitude of vibrations, making it a useful tool for controlling and mitigating the negative effects of vibrations. It is also a relatively simple and cost-effective solution compared to other methods, such as active vibration control systems.