Spring and Mass Oscillating on a Slope

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the equation of motion for a body that is stuck to the end of an elastic spring as it moves down a slope. The equation of motion is found to be asinwt+Bcoswt+mgl_0*alpha/\lambda. However, the value of B is unknown and the equation of motion seems to be setup incorrectly.
adg203

Homework Statement

An elastic spring has modulus of elasticity [tex]\lambda[/tex] and natural length [tex]l_{0}[/tex]. The spring is on the slope of a hill with an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] to the horizontal such that one end of the spring is fixed at the foot of the hill and the other end can move freely along the slope. A body of mass m, starting from rest at the top of the hill, is moving down the hill (neglect friction forces). The body sticks permanently to the free end of the spring after first contact.

Homework Equations

[tex]\dot{x}=0[/tex] when the spring is compressed by [tex]mgl_{0}[/tex]/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the x-axis going to the slope with the origin at [tex]l_{0}[/tex] and had [tex]mgsin\alpha[/tex] as the force going down the hill and [tex]x\lambda[/tex]/[tex]l_{0}[/tex] as the force going up.

With this i said that [tex]m\ddot{x}[/tex]=mgsin[tex]\alpha- x\lambda[/tex]/[tex]l_{0}[/tex] and so found the equation of motion to be

x=Asinwt+Bcoswt+[tex]mgl_{0}\alpha[/tex]/[tex]\lambda[/tex] where w[tex]^{2}[/tex]=[tex]\lambda[/tex]/[tex]ml_{0}[/tex]

Then i find B by saying that x(0)=0 (setting t=0 to be when the mass meets the spring), but then when i try and find A by saying x(T)=[tex]mgl_{0}[/tex]/[tex]\lambda[/tex], but i get stuck with A being in terms of tanwT, and when i try to find tanwT i find the value i get for coswT is impossible. Have i set up the situation correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
(I took out the latex from the post as it doesn't seem to be working)..

When you said:
adg203 said:
found the equation of motion to be

x=Asinwt+Bcoswt+(mgl_0*alpha)/lambda

Do you mean x=Asinwt+Bcoswt+(mgl_0*sin(alpha))/lambda?

Also, don't you find B by differentiating the above with respect to t, and then equating this to your initial condition of x'=0?

i.e... x'(t)= w(Acoswt - Bsinwt)

so x'(0) = 0 (your initial condition)
x'(0) = wA

so A=0 ?

Hi,

Yeah i did mean sin(alpha). I agree that if you let x'(0)=0 then A=0, however we would then need a second equation to find B and we do not know what x(0) is. We are only told that the mass is at the top of the hill, and we are given no detail as to where the top of the hill is.

1. What is the equation for the period of a spring and mass oscillating on a slope?

The equation for the period of a spring and mass oscillating on a slope is given by T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation holds true for small oscillations on a slope.

2. How does the slope of the surface affect the period of oscillation?

The slope of the surface affects the period of oscillation by changing the effective acceleration due to gravity. On a steeper slope, the effective acceleration due to gravity is greater, leading to a shorter period. On a flatter slope, the effective acceleration due to gravity is smaller, resulting in a longer period.

3. What factors affect the amplitude of oscillation on a slope?

The amplitude of oscillation on a slope is affected by the initial displacement of the mass, the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the slope of the surface. A larger initial displacement or a steeper slope will result in a larger amplitude, while a heavier mass or a smaller spring constant will lead to a smaller amplitude.

4. Can the oscillation on a slope be damped?

Yes, the oscillation on a slope can be damped by adding a damping force, such as friction or air resistance, to the system. This will cause the amplitude of oscillation to decrease over time until the object comes to rest.

5. How does the presence of a frictional force affect the period of oscillation on a slope?

The presence of a frictional force will slightly decrease the period of oscillation on a slope. This is because the frictional force acts against the motion of the object, reducing the effective acceleration due to gravity and leading to a slightly longer period.