1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant and oscillation frequency

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A compact car has a mass of 1300kg. Assume that the care has one spring on each wheel, that the springs are identical, and that the mass is equally distributed over the four springs.

a.) What is the spring constant of each spring if the empty car bounces up and down 1.4 times each second?
    b.) What will be the car's oscillation frequency while carrying four 90kg passengers?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know for part a I will use f = 1/2pi [sq rt (k/m)], which will be k = m (f2pi)^2 when rearranged. I'm just not sure what the frequency would be.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For part a) the frequency is given to you. 1.4times/second is a frequency.

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    The car bounces up and down 1.4 times each second. What is the definition of frequency?

If you are talking about the second part, all you have to do is use the information you solved for, and change the mass accordingly.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The definition of a frequency is the "number of oscillations per second. This is what you are given. The car bounces up and down (oscillates) 1.4 times each second. So,

f=1.4

6. Dec 3, 2007 #5
    I tried using 1.4 for the frequency, and I got 1.01E5, but it wasn't right.

7. Dec 4, 2007 #6
    Man, you can't answer his questions for him.

How, exactly, did you solve it, aligass?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?