Spring Constant and Time Period

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of changing the spring constant on the time period of Simple Harmonic Oscillations. The main concern is maintaining air humidity constant as it affects air resistance and damping. Controlling the humidity at either 0% or 100% would be the easiest solution, although it may not be feasible in an introductory physics lab.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am investigating the effect of changing the spring constant on the time period of Simple Harmonic Oscillations.

My first doubt regards one of my control variables. I listed that I should try and maintain air humidity constant, due to the fact it affects air resistance and, therefore damping. Obviously, I don't have absolute control over the humidity in the air but how could I try to maintain it constant? Maintaining the relative humidity the same

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not that you would actually do this in an introductory physics lab, but probably the easiest way to control the humidity is to keep it at or close to either 0% or 100%; maintaining it somewhere in between would be very tricky. See if you can think of ways that holding it at either 0 or 100% might be done.

1. What is the relationship between spring constant and time period?

The spring constant and time period have an inverse relationship, meaning that as the spring constant increases, the time period decreases, and vice versa. This is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its spring constant and displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. How does the mass of an object affect the time period of a spring?

The mass of an object has no effect on the time period of a spring. This is because the period of oscillation of a spring only depends on the spring constant and the force applied to the spring, not the mass of the object attached to it.

3. What is a unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant is newtons per meter (N/m). This unit represents the amount of force required to stretch a spring by one meter.

4. Can the spring constant and time period of a spring be changed?

Yes, the spring constant and time period of a spring can be changed by altering the material or dimensions of the spring. For example, a stiffer material or a longer spring will result in a higher spring constant and shorter time period.

5. How does gravity affect the time period of a spring?

Gravity has no effect on the time period of a spring. This is because the force of gravity does not act on the spring itself, but rather on the object attached to the spring. As mentioned before, the time period of a spring only depends on the spring constant and the force applied to it.