1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant, find height of projectile

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 48 gram dart is shot vertically upwards from a catapult with a spring constant of 350 N/m. The catapult is initially stretched from the equilibrium point by 21 cm. What is the height above the starting point reached by the dart?

2. Relevant equations
    KE=PE, rearranging to find h gets h= v^2/2g

find the velocity as it leaves the catapult as v= d(sqrt(k/m))

3. The attempt at a solution
    v= 0.21m (sqrt(350Nm/0.048kg))
    = 17.93 m/s

h= (17.93m/s)^2 / 2(9.81m/s^2)
    = 16.38 m

does this seem right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks good. But did you answer the specific question that was asked?

4. Jun 4, 2015 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, subopolois. I read your post too quickly.

When you calculated the speed at which the dart leaves the catapult, did you take into account the increase in gravitational potential energy of the dart? How did you get the formula v = d√(k/m)?

5. Jun 4, 2015 #4
    I did not, how would i do that?
    I did take gravity into account when i found the height...

6. Jun 4, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could find the speed at which the dart leaves the catapult by using conservation of energy. You will need to include kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, and elastic potential energy.

There is a better approach to the problem. You don't need to find the speed at which the dart leaves the catapult. Is energy conserved overall between the point of release and the point where the dart reaches the highest point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted