Spring constant of a car on springs

In summary: So the car has 4 wheels, each wheel has its own spring. OK so they want the effective force constant, so you can probably forget about the factor of 4.Also the Force = -kx would probably make more sense expressed as: ΔForce = -k(Δx). You are looking for the change in force to affect a change in displacement.Thanks for catching that! So the change in force is 583272.7273 N for a change in displacement of 0.55 cm.
jybe

Homework Statement

When four people with a combined mass of 325 kg sit down in a 2000-kg car, they find that their weight compresses the springs an additional 0.55 cm.

A) What is the effective force constant of the springs?

B) The four people get out of the car and bounce it up and down. What is the frequency of the car's vibration?

Homework Equations

ΔForce = -k(Δx)

frequency = (1/(2pi))*Sqrt(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
A)

ΔForce = -k(Δx)

k = (2325*9.81)/(0.0055m)

k = 4146955 N/m (Wrong answer apparently)

B)

frequency = (1/2pi)*sqrt(4146955/2000)

frequency = 7.247 Hz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the car has 4 wheels, each wheel has its own spring. OK so they want the effective force constant, so you can probably forget about the factor of 4.

Also the Force = -kx would probably make more sense expressed as:
ΔForce = -k(Δx). You are looking for the change in force to affect a change in displacement.

scottdave said:
So the car has 4 wheels, each wheel has its own spring. OK so they want the effective force constant, so you can probably forget about the factor of 4.

Also the Force = -kx would probably make more sense expressed as:
ΔForce = -k(Δx). You are looking for the change in force to affect a change in displacement.
Ok, fixed. But that wouldn't change the answer I got, so what have I done wrong? Thanks

jybe said:
Ok, fixed. But that wouldn't change the answer I got, so what have I done wrong? Thanks
The empty car weight compresses the spring a certain amount (you don't know this number). Adding 325 kg additional mass causes the weight on the springs to increase by an amount, causing the springs compresssion to change by 0.55 cm

So I can't resist asking "What is the delta force?" :biggrin:

scottdave said:
The empty car weight compresses the spring a certain amount (you don't know this number). Adding 325 kg additional mass causes the weight on the springs to increase by an amount, causing the springs compresssion to change by 0.55 cm

So I can't resist asking "What is the delta force?" :biggrin:

Oh, I see, so:

Fi = 9.81*2000 = 19600 N

Ff = 9.81*2325 = 3208.25 N

The change in force is 3208.25 N.

So 3208 = kx

k = 3208/0.0055

k = 583272.7273 N/m

Is this correct? If so, then I would just have to plug the numbers in for part B?

Thanks a lot

You're almost there.
Check your Ffinal calculation again. Then do the subtraction to get the proper change in force.

scottdave said:
You're almost there.
Check your Ffinal calculation again. Then do the subtraction to get the proper change in force.
Ff is 22808.25, my mistake. Change in force is 22808.25-19600 = 3208N.

scottdave said:
You're almost there.

For b, I have:

frequency = (1/(2pi))*sqrt(583272.7/2000)

frequency = 2.718 Hz

1. What is the spring constant of a car on springs?

The spring constant of a car on springs refers to the stiffness of the springs used in the car's suspension system. It is a measure of how much force is required to compress or stretch the springs by a certain distance.

2. How is the spring constant of a car on springs calculated?

The spring constant of a car on springs can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring. This is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

3. Why is the spring constant of a car on springs important?

The spring constant of a car on springs is important because it determines the car's handling and ride comfort. A higher spring constant means the car will have a stiffer suspension, providing better handling but a rougher ride. A lower spring constant means a softer suspension, resulting in a smoother ride but potentially sacrificing handling.

4. How does the spring constant of a car on springs affect its performance?

The spring constant of a car on springs affects its performance by influencing its weight distribution and stability. A car with a higher spring constant will have less body roll and better weight distribution, resulting in improved handling and cornering. However, a car with a lower spring constant may have a more comfortable ride but may not handle as well.

5. Can the spring constant of a car on springs be changed?

Yes, the spring constant of a car on springs can be changed by adjusting the stiffness of the springs. This can be done by replacing the springs with ones that have a different spring rate or by adjusting the preload on the springs. However, it is important to note that changing the spring constant can have a significant impact on the car's handling and should be done carefully.