Spring Constant (this is really easy, I'm just dumb haha)

In summary, the spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied by the difference in length of the spring when supporting the load. In this case, the formula would be F = k(x2-x1), where F is the force applied, x2 is the length of the spring when supporting the load, and x1 is the original length of the spring. Therefore, the spring constant, k, in this scenario would be 0.05 N/m.
pippintook
A spring 150-cm long extends to a length of 155 cm when it supports a load of 55 N. Determine the spring constant.

F = kx

x1= 1.5 m
x2= 1.55 m
F = 55 N
k = ?

Now, "x" in F = kx is x2-x1, right? So the formula would be 55 = .05k?

Sorry, I know this is simple, I just am having a momentary lapse.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pippintook said:
Now, "x" in F = kx is x2-x1, right? So the formula would be 55 = .05k?
Perfectly correct. :smile:

Awesome. That's what I thought, but when I was experimenting with springs the constant was always a lot smaller so I got confused :P

1. What is the definition of spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant or stiffness, is a measure of the resistance of a spring to being compressed or stretched. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit length, typically newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. Mathematically, this can be represented as k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by various factors such as the material of the spring, the thickness and length of the spring, and the number of coils in the spring. Temperature and the amount of force applied can also impact the spring constant.

4. What is the relationship between spring constant and stiffness?

Spring constant and stiffness are directly proportional. This means that as the spring constant increases, the stiffness of the spring also increases. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.

5. How is spring constant used in real-life applications?

Spring constant is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, to determine the strength and flexibility of materials, and in the construction of buildings and bridges. It is also used in the manufacturing of everyday items like mattresses and furniture to provide comfort and support.