1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Constants/Work And Energy

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    I'm having a bit of a problem with these homework questions, if anyone could help out that would be great!!

1. A 15 kg mass is attached to a massless spring by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley. The spring has a force constant k= 500 N/m and is unstretched when the mass is relased. What is the velocity when it has fallen a distance of .30 m?

2. A 0.75 kg sphere is dropped through a tall column of liquid. When the sphere has fallen a distance of 2.0 m, it is observed to have a velocity of 2.5 m/s
    a. how much work was done by the frictional force exerted on the sphere by the liquid?
    b. what is the average force of friction during the displacement of 2.0 m?

I am completely stumped, =( please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    PF usually asks that you show an attempt first.

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In both problems, analyze what happens to the mechanical energy.

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    I'm struggling with the same questions as eann595, but I attempted to work them out so please help!:

1.) a 0.75 kg sphere is dropped through a tall column of liquid. When the sphere has fallen a distance of 2.0 m, it is observed to have a velocity of 2.5 m/s.
    a.) How much work was done by the frictional force exerted on the sphere by the
    liquid?

* I need the net work of friction, so I started with Wnet(Fr) = change in KE = ma.
    * Fr x cos(180) x d = 1/2mv^2 = ma.
    * Fr x -1 x 2.0m = 1/2(0.75kg)(2.5m/s)^2 = (0.75kg)(a)
    * -2.0m x Fr = 2.34 kg x m squared/sec squared = (0.75)(a)

I have a feeling that b/c acceleration is not given, it equals g aka 9.8 m/s^2 (??) Am I on the right track with this problem?

b.) What is the average force of friction during the displacement of 2.0m?

This one I think I need to know the answer to letter a.) to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?