Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spring Constants/Work And Energy

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    I'm having a bit of a problem with these homework questions, if anyone could help out that would be great!!

1. A 15 kg mass is attached to a massless spring by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley. The spring has a force constant k= 500 N/m and is unstretched when the mass is relased. What is the velocity when it has fallen a distance of .30 m?

2. A 0.75 kg sphere is dropped through a tall column of liquid. When the sphere has fallen a distance of 2.0 m, it is observed to have a velocity of 2.5 m/s
    a. how much work was done by the frictional force exerted on the sphere by the liquid?
    b. what is the average force of friction during the displacement of 2.0 m?

I am completely stumped, =( please help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    PF usually asks that you show an attempt first.

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In both problems, analyze what happens to the mechanical energy.

5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    I'm struggling with the same questions as eann595, but I attempted to work them out so please help!:

1.) a 0.75 kg sphere is dropped through a tall column of liquid. When the sphere has fallen a distance of 2.0 m, it is observed to have a velocity of 2.5 m/s.
    a.) How much work was done by the frictional force exerted on the sphere by the
    liquid?

* I need the net work of friction, so I started with Wnet(Fr) = change in KE = ma.
    * Fr x cos(180) x d = 1/2mv^2 = ma.
    * Fr x -1 x 2.0m = 1/2(0.75kg)(2.5m/s)^2 = (0.75kg)(a)
    * -2.0m x Fr = 2.34 kg x m squared/sec squared = (0.75)(a)

I have a feeling that b/c acceleration is not given, it equals g aka 9.8 m/s^2 (??) Am I on the right track with this problem?

b.) What is the average force of friction during the displacement of 2.0m?

This one I think I need to know the answer to letter a.) to solve.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook