Spring mechanics with 2 different masses

In summary: U is converted to the kinetic energy K. So, U = K. For mass m, K = (1/2)m(v^2), and for mass 3m, K = (1/2)(3m)(v^2). Solving for v, we get v = sqrt(2U/m) and v = sqrt(2U/(3m)). Since both masses have the same velocity, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for U. Simplifying, we get U = (2/3)m(v^2). Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get U = 23.44 J. Therefore, the speed of mass m before
fonzi

Homework Statement

Two masses m and 3m are joined together by a compressed massless spring of constant k = 750 N/m. When spring is released it pushes masses apart and they slide on a horizontal tabletop as shown below. Mass 3m slides to the right and its track is frictionless. Mass m slides to the left and part of its track of length of .75 m has a friction where mu = .15. Compression of the spring is .25 m. For the mass 3m there is a ramp at the end of the tabletop. The ramp makes an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. Mass m is .5 kg. A length of the table is 2 m. Spring regains its initial length before mass m starts to slide with friction and mass 3m reaches the ramp. Using the data given above answer the followings:
1. calculate the potential energy of the spring.
2. Calculate the speed of the mass m before it starts to slide with friction.
3. Calculate speed of the mass 3m before it enters the ramp.
4. Calculate the work of the friction force for the mass m.
5. Calculate the speed of the mass m when it leaves the table.
6. Calculate the speed of the mass 3m when it leaves the ramp.
7. For the mass m find the time that is required to reach the floor (from the edge of the tabletop to the floor).
2. Homework Equations and attempt at a solution
for problem 1: PE =KE, where PE = potential energy and KE = kinetic energy formula two equals .5K delta X^2. this means PE = (750*.25^2)/2 = 23.44 J

for problem 2 I believe you use V = square root (2KE)/m = square root 2(23.44)/.5 = 9.68m/s

I believe problem 3 is solved the same way but that we change the mass so V = 5.59 m/s

problem 4 I believe would use 2 formulas W = fd and F(f) = mu* mg, where F(f) = force friction so it would be mu *mg *d = .552 J

problem 5 if I am not mistaken would use the equation V = (square root 2g delta h) = square root 2 *9.81 * .9 = 4.2

Problem 6 is where I'm a little hazy. Also I am not sure If I'm using the right equations. I have not done mechanics since November so if some one could check my work I would very much appreciate it. Also please excuse the English my teacher is Russian and I wrote the problem word for word.

Physics news on Phys.org
this picture should help

Attachments

• spring mechanics.bmp
    150 KB · Views: 540
Is anyone there?

I believe I made a mistake on # 5 so what I think I was suppose to do was take the work of the spring - the work of friction = (mv^2)/2 now multiply the new work by 2 divide by m and square root both sides and you get velocity. so the answer should be 9.568 round to 9.57.

The energy of the spring becomes the kinetic energy of both mass, m and 3m. Conservation of energy. The same force is applied to both block, F = kx. Also, the total (net) momentum before the blocks move is zero, and then think about conservation of momentum.

I'm confused how does that help me find the speed of mass 3m when it leaves the ramp? Your answer seems to be the perspective I need to look at this problem, is their something wrong with how I have been solving the problems? If so where did I mess up and if not using work/energy formulas how do I find the velocity of mass 3m going off the 20 degree ramp?

Take this one step at a time. What is the potential energy of a compressed spring?

I've already solved that, I'm on step 6 but the answer is 22.44, all the info you need is in the first, second, and fourth post.

The way I see it I found the x direction velocity in problem 3 so I need to find V that accommodates two dimensions (the x as well as the y). so i am using the formula v0cos 20 = vx so vx/cos20 = v0 which gives me 5.55m/s. So I'm wondering if my method is correct?

Attachments

• part 6.bmp
    21.2 KB · Views: 499
so T should = .43 because y=.5at^2, so t = square root y/(.5a)

final answers:
for problem 1: PE =KE, where PE = potential energy and KE = kinetic energy formula two equals .5K delta X^2. this means PE = (750*.25^2)/2 = 23.44 J

for problem 2 I believe you use V = square root (2KE)/m = square root 2(23.44)/.5 = 9.68m/s

I believe problem 3 is solved the same way but that we change the mass so V = 5.59 m/s

problem 4 I believe would use 2 formulas W = fd and F(f) = mu* mg, where F(f) = force friction so it would be mu *mg *d = .552 J

problem 5 take the work of the spring - the work of friction = (mv^2)/2 now multiply the new work by 2 divide by m and square root both sides and you get velocity. so the answer should be 9.568 round to 9.57.

problem 6 I am using the formula v0cos 20 = vx so vx/cos20 = v0 which gives me 5.55m/s.

problem 7 T should = .43 because y=.5at^2, so t = square root y/(.5a)

I just want someone to tell me if 6 and 7 are correct

For parts two and three you haven't applied the conservation of energy and momentum as Astronuc suggested.

why doesn't my answer take into account the conservation of energy and momentum/how do It the right way?

fonzi said:
why doesn't my answer take into account the conservation of energy and momentum/how do It the right way?

The kinetic energy of the two masses must add up to the potential stored in the spring. You have calculated the kinetic energy for each mass as if they both gain all the potential energy.

OK I'm not quite sure how to do that, But this is my attempt. Because of conservation of momentum I know PE = (.5V1^2)/2 + (1.5V2^2)/2 but that leaves me with two variables, so what do I do? M =.5 and 3M = 1.5, which means I am using the formula KE = (mv^2)/2

Last edited:
one must also conserve momentum.

Can you give me a formula or a procedure that I can use, cause I know I'm not doing this right, but I want to know the right way.

I'm sorry I can't figure this out.

I'm running out of time can't you just tell me what I need to do? I can do the rest and I have shown an attempt at the problem. Also I know that 1,4,5,and 7 are correct. and their were actually 11 problems and I can solve those If I can find the answer to 2 and 3.

fonzi said:
Two masses m and 3m are joined together by a compressed massless spring of constant k = 750 N/m.
When spring is released it pushes masses apart and they slide on a horizontal tabletop as shown below. …
Compression of the spring is .25 m. …
Mass m is .5 kg.
Spring regains its initial length before mass m starts to slide with friction and mass 3m reaches the ramp. …
2. Calculate the speed of the mass m before it starts to slide with friction.
3. Calculate speed of the mass 3m before it enters the ramp.
fonzi said:
I'm running out of time can't you just tell me what I need to do? I can do the rest and I have shown an attempt at the problem. Also I know that 1,4,5,and 7 are correct. and their were actually 11 problems and I can solve those If I can find the answer to 2 and 3.

Hi fonzi! :smile:

(Thanks for the PM.)

As Kurdt and Astronuc advised, you need to apply both conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

(That is true in nearly all collision problems!)
Kurdt said:
The kinetic energy of the two masses must add up to the potential stored in the spring.
Kurdt said:
one must also conserve momentum.

So, from energy you get PE = KE1 + KE2.

And from momentum you get m1v1 = -m2v2.

The momentum equation is linear, while the energy equation is quadratic, so solve the monentum equation first: v1 = -(m2/m1)v2.

Then plug that into the energy equation! :smile:

hmm … you seem fine with the other stuff … but you're obviously unhappy about this procedure … I don't understand why … :confused:

thanks tiny tim

problem 1 is the same as before

for problem two and three we use the formula PE = (mV1^2)/2 + (3mV2^2)/2 to calculate conservation of energy and mv1 =3mv2 to calculate conservation of momentum. this will give you 8.39 m/s for problem 2 and 2.8 m/s for problem three.

problem 4 is the same

problem 5 is where I might have a problem. I solved this step by taking Work of the spring for mass m with respect to conservation of energy and momentum minus the work of friction = mv^2/2 solve for v. so V = 8.26m/s

problem 6 could also be wrong. I solved this step by KEi +PEi = KEf + PEf. where PEi =0 and KEi = the kinetic energy of mass 3m. ok now KEi = (mv^2)/2 = 1.5 2.8^2.5 =5.88. Now PEf =mgh and this works because the mass is leaving the ramp so you have potential. The height is .3 because that's the change in height from the table to the ramp. mgh = 1.5 *9.81 *.3 =4.41. now subtract PEf from KEi so that your formula reads KEf = KEi- PEf. this means (1.5v^2)/2 = 1.47 now solve for v which will give you 1.4m/s

problem 7 is the same as before

So tell me what you guys think?

Problem 8 is for the Mass 3m find the time that is required to reach the floor (from the top of the ramp to the floor).

I use three formulas v0sin theta =V0y, y = v0yt =1/2 at^2, and the quadratic formula and you solve for t.

Problem 9 is Calculate the velocity of the mass 3m at the point of impact

I use the formula Vf = V0 +at

Problem 10 is Calculate the velocity of the mass m at the point of impact

same formula

problem 11 is find the horizontal distance between the masses when they are on the floor

for this I take the time I found in problem 7 and 8 multiplied by the horizontal velocity of each block to get the distance the two blocks leave from the table then I add two because the table is 2 meters. so the formula looks like Vx1t1 +Vx2t2 +2

Last edited:
DISREGARD THE LAST POST ITS WRONG. this is a solved problem thanks for the help everyone.

1. What is the difference between "spring mechanics" and "2 different masses"?

The term "spring mechanics" refers to the study of the behavior of springs, while "2 different masses" refers to the use of two objects with different masses in an experiment or system.

2. How do the masses of the objects affect the behavior of the spring?

The masses of the objects attached to the spring will affect the spring's behavior by changing the amount of force needed to compress or stretch the spring. The heavier the mass, the more force will be required to move the spring.

3. What is the relationship between the masses and the spring constant?

The spring constant, represented by the letter "k", is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. The relationship between the masses and the spring constant can be described by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, x is the displacement of the spring, and the negative sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement. As the mass attached to the spring increases, the spring constant will remain the same, but the force and displacement will also increase.

4. Can the masses be different on each side of the spring?

Yes, the masses on each side of the spring can be different. This will result in an unequal distribution of force on the spring, causing it to stretch or compress unevenly.

5. How can we calculate the potential energy of the system with two different masses attached to the spring?

The potential energy of the system can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring. The masses attached to the spring will affect the value of x, and therefore, the potential energy of the system.