How Does a Pogo Stick Utilize Spring Mechanics for Maximum Jump Height?

In summary: KE=1/2mv^2PEg=mgy andPEs=1/2kx^2KE=1/2mv^2PEg=mgy andPEs=1/2kx^2KE=1/2mv^2PEg=mgy andPEs=1/2kx^2In summary, the child's maximum upward speed is 2.47 m/s at x=0.
CNauert
General Physics Homework Question! Please help!

A child's pogo stick stores energy in a spring (k= 21000 N/m). At position A (x1=-0.100 m). The spring compression is a maximum and the child is momentarily at rest. At position B (x=0), the spring is relaxed and the child is moving upward. At position C (x2=?), the child is again momentarily at rest at the top of the jump. Assume that the combined mass of the child and pogo stick is 26.0 kg.

a) Calculate the total energy of the system if both potential energies are zero at x=0
Ok, here i got 79.52 J
b) Determine x2.
And here I got 0.312 m
c) Calculate the speed of the child at x=0.
And here I got 2.47 m/s

Here is where I'm having problems!

d) Determine the value of x for which the kinetic energy of the system is a maximum.
e) Obtain the child's maximum upward speed.

Physics news on Phys.org

What have you tried so far? Where are you stuck?

Ask yourself: Will the maximum KE, which means maximum speed, occur above or below x = 0? What does energy conservation tell you?

Well since the child is moving upwards, the maximum speed has to hit before x=0 meaning the speed is going to decrease as the child moves upward. So, do I use the state when the child is at x1 = -.100 since that is when the spring will relax and the child's velocity will be at its max??

I'm just confused on where to start with this part of the problem.
I know that the sum of the energy = KE + PEg + PEs. I know that Wnc = Ef-Ei. There are no non-conservative forces though, right? Since friction is not involved? Or is the spring a non-conservative force? If there aren't any, I use Ef=Ei which means KEi + PEgi + PEsi = KEf + PEgf + PEsf.

KE=1/2mv^2
PEg=mgy and
PEs=1/2kx^2

CNauert said:
Well since the child is moving upwards, the maximum speed has to hit before x=0 meaning the speed is going to decrease as the child moves upward.
Good. Since at x = 0 (position B) and above, the only force acting on the child is gravity the speed will only continue to decrease.
So, do I use the state when the child is at x1 = -.100 since that is when the spring will relax and the child's velocity will be at its max??
At x1 = -.100 is when the spring has maximum compression and the KE is zero. So the maximum speed and KE will occur someplace between x = -.100 and x = 0.

I'm just confused on where to start with this part of the problem.
I know that the sum of the energy = KE + PEg + PEs.
Good. Get expressions for each of the PE terms as functions of x.
I know that Wnc = Ef-Ei. There are no non-conservative forces though, right? Since friction is not involved?
Right. All forces are conservative here.
Or is the spring a non-conservative force? If there aren't any, I use Ef=Ei which means KEi + PEgi + PEsi = KEf + PEgf + PEsf.
Good. That can also be written as Total Energy = constant. (Hint: You already figured out the value of the total energy.)
KE=1/2mv^2
PEg=mgy and
PEs=1/2kx^2
Good. Express PEg in terms of x (measured from x = 0).

Use that to express KE in terms of x. Then, how would you find the maximum of some function of x?

Related to How Does a Pogo Stick Utilize Spring Mechanics for Maximum Jump Height?

1. What is the best way to approach a general physics homework question?

The best way to approach a general physics homework question is to first read and understand the question thoroughly. Then, break it down into smaller parts or concepts and try to relate them to real-world examples or previous material you have learned. If you are still having trouble, try reaching out to your classmates or instructor for help.

2. How can I check if my answer to a general physics homework question is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to compare it to the answer in the back of your textbook or to a similar problem in your notes. You can also try plugging your answer into the original problem to see if it satisfies the given conditions. Additionally, you can seek assistance from a tutor or online resources for verification.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a general physics homework question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a general physics homework question include not reading the question carefully, using incorrect formulas or units, and not showing all of your work. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. Additionally, be mindful of any potential rounding errors.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for general physics homework questions?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. Start by understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, and then work on solving a variety of problems. You can also try breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts to make them easier to solve.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to understand a concept related to a general physics homework question?

If you are struggling to understand a concept related to a general physics homework question, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. You can reach out to your instructor, a tutor, or classmates for clarification. You can also try looking for online resources or videos that explain the concept in a different way. Remember, it is okay to ask for help and it can greatly improve your understanding of the material.