Blocks and Spring Mechanics Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a one-dimensional collision between two blocks with different masses and initial velocities. The problem also involves a cocked spring releasing energy into the system. The conversation explores different methods of solving the problem, including conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. The final solution involves combining both methods and splitting the combined velocity between the two blocks according to their masses.
lando45
When I first read this question I thought it would be simple to solve but apparently it's not, I'm having some difficulty with it.

"Two blocks can collide in a one-dimensional collision. The block on the left hass a mass of 0.40 kg and is initially moving to the right at 2.4 m/s toward a second block of mass 0.50 kg that is initially at rest. When the blocks collide, a cocked spring releases 1.2 J of energy into the system. What are the velocities of both blocks following the collision? (For velocities, use + to mean to the right, - to mean to the left.)"

At first I tried using a simple conservation of momentum equation m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2 but then I released this doesn't take into account the 1.2J of energy from the spring.

So then I tried solving the question using kinetic energy 0.5mv^2 and I came out with this:

0.5 x 0.4 x 2.4^2 = 1.152J
Total energy = initial KE + 1.2J from spring = 2.352J
0.5m1v1^2 + 0.5m2v2^2 = 2.352J
0.2v1^2 + 0.25v2^2 = 2.352J

So then I am left with two unknowns and no simple way of solving. I then tried combining both the momentum method and the KE method but that doesn't really work because momentum and energy have different units so cannot be used together. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on the right lines. Maybe you should start by ignoring the spring and work out the combined velocity following the collision. Then imagine you had the two blocks at rest when the spring is released, forcing them apart.

Ah OK. Well I did that and here's what I got:

m1u1 + m2u2 = (m1 + m2)v
(0.4 x 2.4) + (0.5 x 0) = (0.4 + 0.5)v
0.96 = 0.9v
v = 1.067ms^-1

0.5mv^2 = 1.2J
mv^2 = 2.4J
v^2 = 2.4 / 0.9 = 2.67
v = 1.633ms^-1

Combined velocity = (1.067 + 1.633)ms^-1 = 2.7ms^-1

So then do I just split this combined velocity according to the same ratio of the mass's? i.e. 2.7 = 5x + 4x so the final velocity of m1 is 1.5ms^-1 and the final velocity of m2 is 1.2ms^-1?

1. How do blocks and springs work together in mechanics?

Blocks and springs work together in mechanics by utilizing the properties of Hooke's Law. The block provides the mass and the spring provides the restoring force. When a force is applied to the block, it compresses the spring and the spring exerts a force in the opposite direction, causing the block to oscillate back and forth.

2. What is the equation for calculating the spring constant?

The equation for calculating the spring constant is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. How does the mass of the block affect the motion in a blocks and springs system?

The mass of the block affects the motion in a blocks and springs system by determining the period and frequency of the oscillations. A heavier block will have a longer period and lower frequency, while a lighter block will have a shorter period and higher frequency.

4. Can the spring constant be changed in a blocks and springs system?

Yes, the spring constant can be changed in a blocks and springs system by altering the properties of the spring. The spring constant is affected by the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the spring. Increasing any of these factors will result in a higher spring constant.

5. What factors can affect the amplitude of the oscillations in a blocks and springs system?

The amplitude of the oscillations in a blocks and springs system can be affected by the initial displacement of the block, the mass of the block, and the spring constant. Increasing the initial displacement or the mass of the block will result in a larger amplitude, while a higher spring constant will result in a smaller amplitude.