Spring stretched by weight, find spring constant

In summary, the conversation is about a student requesting help with a physics problem involving a spring and weights. The student is asked to determine how much a 30 pound weight will stretch the spring, with the assumption being that the answer is 1.5 inches. The student is also asked to find the spring constant of the spring, with a hint being given to use relevant equations to solve the problem.
SarahLynn2012
I'm in a basic level physics class as a requirement for my major. Physics has never been a strong subject for me. Can someone help me with this problem?
You have a spring with a 60lb weight hanging from it.

A) If the 60 pound weight stretches the spring 3 inches, how much will a 30 pound weight stretch the spring?

**I'm assuming the answer is 1.5 inches??

B) what is the spring constant(k) of the spring? Be sure to include the correct units of k.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you make that assumption?
What have you done to solve the problem?
How is "spring constant" defined in your text?
No need to make excuses on your ability when asking for help, as it doe neither you or the one helping you any good wrt the problem at hand.

SarahLynn2012 said:
You have a spring with a 60lb weight hanging from it.

A) If the 60 pound weight stretches the spring 3 inches, how much will a 30 pound weight stretch the spring?

**I'm assuming the answer is 1.5 inches??

That's correct but can you explain why?

B) what is the spring constant(k) of the spring? Be sure to include the correct units of k.

There is a template for posting questions in the homework section and that contains a clue. It asks you to list Relevant Equations. So, what's the relevant equation that relates the length of a spring to the force on it?

[Please note that I have changed the thread title to reflect the question content - gneill]

A) Yes, your assumption is correct. Since the weight is reduced by half, the spring will stretch half the distance, which is 1.5 inches.

B) To find the spring constant, we can use the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the distance the spring stretches. In this case, we know that F = 60lbs and x = 3 inches. So, k = 60lbs/3 inches = 20 lbs/inch. Therefore, the spring constant of this spring is 20 lbs/inch.

It is important to include the correct units for the spring constant, which is lbs/inch in this case. This unit tells us the amount of force needed to stretch the spring by 1 inch. In other words, for every 1 inch the spring stretches, it will experience a force of 20 lbs. I hope this helps with your understanding of spring constants in basic physics.

1. What is spring constant?

Spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring, or how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is represented by the letter k and is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How do you calculate spring constant?

The formula for spring constant is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This formula can be rearranged to find any of the variables, depending on what information you have.

3. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material and design of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit, causing permanent changes in its stiffness.

4. How does the weight affect the spring constant?

The weight or mass of an object attached to a spring will determine the force applied to the spring and thus will affect the spring constant. The heavier the weight, the greater the force and the higher the spring constant will be.

5. What are the units for spring constant?

Spring constant is typically measured in Newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system of units. In the Imperial system, it can be measured in pounds-force per inch (lbf/in).