1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring stretched by weight, find spring constant

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    I'm in a basic level physics class as a requirement for my major. Physics has never been a strong subject for me. Can someone help me with this problem?

You have a spring with a 60lb weight hanging from it.

A) If the 60 pound weight stretches the spring 3 inches, how much will a 30 pound weight stretch the spring?

**I'm assuming the answer is 1.5 inches??

B) what is the spring constant(k) of the spring? Be sure to include the correct units of k.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2
    Why did you make that assumption?
    What have you done to solve the problem?
    How is "spring constant" defined in your text?
    No need to make excuses on your ability when asking for help, as it doe neither you or the one helping you any good wrt the problem at hand.

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct but can you explain why?

There is a template for posting questions in the homework section and that contains a clue. It asks you to list Relevant Equations. So, what's the relevant equation that relates the length of a spring to the force on it?

5. Sep 13, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

[Please note that I have changed the thread title to reflect the question content - gneill]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted