Springs Question - Second Order O.D.E

In summary, the equation of motion for the ball is: 0=y''(t)+(b/5)y'(t)+25y(t), where b kg/s is the damping constant. The equation of motion for the ball is also affected by Newton's law of motion and Hooke's law of elasticity.
tedwillis
Hi all, I was wondering is you could help me with this springs question. We've only done springs hanging from a fixed support above being stretched, but now I've got a question where the spirng is being compressed.

Homework Statement

So, here's some basic info about the question
  • Obviously, acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
  • The downward direction is considered the positive direction
  • A spring is placed on a fixed support standing vertically
  • The natural length of the spring is 5 metres
  • An iron ball weighing 5kg is attached to the top of it
  • This mass compresses the spring by 0.392m
  • The ball is pulled to a distance of 0.4m above its equalibirum position then released
  • Damping force is proportional to the instantaneous velocity of the ball
  • y(t)=The displacement of the ball below the equalibrium position at t seconds after the release

Homework Equations

So, the first question is to proove that the equation of motion for the ball is...
  • [itex]0=y''(t)+(b/5)y'(t)+25y(t)[/itex], where b kg/s is the damping constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a rough diagram of what I believe to be happening from the description of the problem:
Untitled_3.png

So, with Hooke's law
[itex]T=mg[/itex]
[itex]ks=mg[/itex] (equation 1)
[itex]k=mg/s[/itex]
[itex]k=(5*9.8)/(-0.392)[/itex]
[itex]k=-125[/itex]

With Newton's law of motion (F=ma):
[itex]m*y''(t)=mg-T-R[/itex]
[itex]m*y''(t)=mg-k(s+y(t))-by'(t)[/itex]
[itex]m*y''(t)=mg-ks-ky(t)-by'(t)[/itex], from equation 1: ks-mg=0 so
[itex]m*y''(t)+ky(t)+by'(t)=0[/itex], So subbing in k=-125, m=5
[itex]5*y''(t)-125y(t)+by'(t)=0[/itex]
[itex]y''(t)+b/5y'(t)-25y(t)=0[/itex]

This is almost what I need, but for some reason I have -25y(t) instead of +25y(t). Can anyone see where I've gone wrong? The only thing I can think of is that k (and thus s) should be positive, but I am unsure why as it is in compression. We have been taught that stretching (extension) of the spring make "s" a postive number, so one would think that compression of the spring would make give "s" a negative value. Is k always > 0 by definition?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have s- y when you should have y- s. Suppose y is very large. Then s- y will be negative so -k(s- y) will be positive and y''= -k(s- y) would be positive meaning that y will get larger. It should be the other way around- the spring should move y back toward the center. You should have either y''= k(s- y) or y''= -k(y- s).

HallsofIvy said:
You have s- y when you should have y- s. Suppose y is very large. Then s- y will be negative so -k(s- y) will be positive and y''= -k(s- y) would be positive meaning that y will get larger. It should be the other way around- the spring should move y back toward the center. You should have either y''= k(s- y) or y''= -k(y- s).

Woops. That was a typo actually.

It should say [itex]my''(t)=mg-k(s+y(t))-by'(t)[/itex] instead, and this is the path that the following calculations take.

In this sense, I am saying that the restoring force of the spring’s tension (T) is equal to the spring constant*(contraction (or extension)+y(t) (the distance below the equalibrium position)). Either I am not understanding you or the subject matter correctly or you have found the wrong error, simply a badly placed typo. Sorry on my behalf.

I'll fix the error up in the OP.

Last edited:
m*y'' = mg - T - R

my'' = mg - k(s-y) - By'

We write -k(s+y) because the spring is stretched but in this case spring is compressing that is why we use -k(s-y)
Hope it makes sense.
Cheers

1. What is a Second Order O.D.E?

A Second Order Ordinary Differential Equation (O.D.E) is a mathematical equation that relates a dependent variable, its first derivative, and its second derivative with respect to an independent variable. It represents the behavior of a system or process that changes over time.

2. How does a Second Order O.D.E relate to springs?

In the context of springs, a Second Order O.D.E can be used to model the motion of a mass attached to a spring. The equation takes into account the force of the spring, which is proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position, as well as the damping force, which is proportional to the velocity of the mass.

3. What is the general form of a Second Order O.D.E for springs?

The general form of a Second Order O.D.E for springs is: mx'' + kx + cx' = 0

where m is the mass attached to the spring, k is the spring constant, c is the damping coefficient, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

4. How do you solve a Second Order O.D.E for springs?

There are various methods for solving a Second Order O.D.E for springs, such as using the Laplace transform, the method of undetermined coefficients, or the method of variation of parameters. These methods involve solving for the general solution, which includes a complementary function and a particular integral, and then applying initial conditions to find the specific solution for a given system.

5. What real-life applications use Second Order O.D.Es for springs?

Second Order O.D.Es for springs are widely used in engineering and physics to model various systems, such as suspension systems in cars, shock absorbers, and vibrating systems. They are also used in seismology to model earthquake vibrations and in electronics to model electrical circuits with inductors and capacitors.