Sprockets+Roller chain+Rotation >Linear oscillation; how?

In summary, the high school student successfully made a catapult on their computer using Algodoo software.
Alex Mercer
Hello there!

I am a high school student, and I am really interested in Physics, esp. electronics and mechanics; I am not an expert or something, so please don't take it hard on me.

Yesterday, I was bored and I messed around and successfully made a catapult (http://www.algodoo.com/algobox/details.php?id=100119). Of course, not IRL, but on my PC.

I am not advertising or something, but I am just saying, you should check the free software named "Algodoo"; it is a 2D physics sim, worth a shot, and totally free. If you can get it, it is easier for you guys to help me because I am using that program.

Anyways, to the point, I am very keen on replicating Mythbusters' "Arrow Machinegun"(), which is a very simple mechanism, basically containing two sprockets, one roll chain, some handles, a slider, bow, string, release mechanism and other miscs.

The problem is, how in the bloody universe, do you have two sprockets and a chain to reciprocate? I heard Jamie saying "the sprocket engaging the slider", but how?

I would really like it if you guys can draw me a model of how I can do it. It'd be even more awesome if you can use Algodoo and draw it for me!

Thanks a lot! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello? Anyone?

Guess not. :/

I'm not sure how the presented mechanism work, but you can convert rotational motion into a reciprocating motion with many mechanisms:

The crank and slider:

p.gif

The Hoeckens linkage:

Hoeckens_linkage_Animated.gif

Any 4-bar linkage of the crank-rocker type:

650px-Linkage_four_bar.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@jack action

First off, thanks a lot for the reply!

The linkage systems, cranks and basic rotary/linear converters won't work for me, because the mechanism I am using is attached to the roll chain, which consists of both rotary and linear motions, so it won't cut it for me.

HOWEVER, I worked it out with a very simple solution this morning; I fused it with a scotch yoke! I attached it with a red pin on the roll chain, and it works just fine; eureka!

Check out the pictures I attached.

Red: Slotted link mechanism
White: Frictionless sliders
Green: Body
Gray: Roll chain
Yellow: Sprockets (gears, wutevz)

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help! :D

https://flic.kr/p/sm8Sb5
https://flic.kr/p/sogoSW
https://flic.kr/p/sogp2U

I forgot about that one. Good catch, as I couldn't wrap my head around why they use a chain with 2 sprockets of the same size. It makes perfect sense now.

1. How does rotation in sprockets result in linear oscillation?

Sprockets and roller chains work together to convert rotational motion into linear motion. The teeth on the sprocket mesh with the links on the roller chain, causing the chain to move in a linear direction as the sprocket rotates. This creates a back-and-forth motion known as linear oscillation.

2. What is the purpose of using roller chains in this mechanism?

Roller chains are used in this mechanism because they provide a strong and reliable connection between the sprocket and the object being moved. They are able to handle high loads and can withstand frequent use without wearing down easily.

3. Can any type of sprocket and roller chain be used for this mechanism?

It is important to select the right type and size of sprocket and roller chain for the specific application. Factors such as load capacity, speed, and environmental conditions should be taken into consideration when choosing these components.

4. Is there a limit to the linear oscillation that can be achieved with this mechanism?

The maximum linear oscillation that can be achieved depends on the size and design of the sprocket and roller chain, as well as the amount of power and torque being applied. The length of the chain also plays a role, as longer chains may experience more friction and resistance, limiting the linear oscillation distance.

5. Are there any maintenance or lubrication requirements for this mechanism?

Like any mechanical system, regular maintenance and lubrication are important for the proper functioning and longevity of the sprocket and roller chain mechanism. This includes keeping the chain clean and properly tensioned, as well as applying lubrication to reduce friction and wear.