Square Loop Moving Through Varying Magnetic Field

In summary, Trevor51590 was told that the B field varies with x and was given a hint to "do the integral \Phi=∫B\cdotda." However, when he looked at the problem, he realized that da was constant at L2, so the integral was incorrect. He found the answer using the proper method.
trevor51590

Homework Statement

A square loop of side length L is moving in the x direction with velocity v. v=vx. B points along the z axis and is defined by B=αxez where α is a constant. Find EMF along the loop

Hint: Find forces on charges in rod by virtue of motion of the rod.

Homework Equations

ε=-d[itex]\Phi[/itex]B/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that [itex]\Phi[/itex]B=∫B[itex]\cdot[/itex]da=BL2cosθ.

Because the field is perpendicular, [itex]\Phi[/itex]B=BL2
^^^I was told this was incorrect

So therefore ε=d(αxeL2)/dt, giving ε=αeL2v

This is incorrect I was told, and looking now I see that the B field varies with x. I was given a hint to "do the integral [itex]\Phi[/itex]=∫B[itex]\cdot[/itex]da" When I look at this, I think that da is constant at L2 so I don't see how this helps me. The hint also doesn't help me either. My work is attached below. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20130326_152842.jpg
    IMG_20130326_152842.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello trevor51590,

If You imagine the area divided into infinitesimal segments along the y-axis (why the Y-axis? think about it) and with each having a length L, what would be the breadth? Hence, what would be da?

Once you have figured that out, what would be the flux through one of these segments? And hence, what would be the net flux?

Sunil Simha said:
Hello trevor51590,

If You imagine the area divided into infinitesimal segments along the y-axis (why the Y-axis? think about it) and with each having a length L, what would be the breadth? Hence, what would be da?

Once you have figured that out, what would be the flux through one of these segments? And hence, what would be the net flux?

If you divide a square into infinitesimal segments along the y-axis (I am assuming because the field changes with x?), the breadth would be x (L), and I would assume area would be Ldy

This would leave

[itex]\phi[/itex]B=αexL∫[itex]^{y}_{0}[/itex]dy

Is this along the right track?

I appreciate your reply!

never mind I'll leave this to Sunil and will follow the thread.

Last edited:
trevor51590 said:
If you divide a square into infinitesimal segments along the y-axis (I am assuming because the field changes with x?), the breadth would be x (L), and I would assume area would be Ldy

The length L is along the Y axis. So the breadth would be along...
So instead of dy, the breadth of the infinitesimal segment would be...

Fairly certain I found out the answer to be αL2v

This is the same as I found before, but now I am using the proper method. Thanks!

Yes the final answer that you obtain is correct. But your integral to obtain the total flux is a bit wrong.

You see,
[itex]d\phi=axLdx[/itex]
and this needs to be integrated over the limits x and x+L (as you are not given the position of the loop) and the integral turns out to be [itex]\phi=aL^2(\frac{L + 2x}{2})[/itex]

Though in the end you'll be just differentiating it w.r.t. time and getting the flux

Absolutely, I see this from working through with your hints. Thank you for your assistance

You are welcome

1. How does a square loop moving through a varying magnetic field produce electricity?

When a square loop moves through a varying magnetic field, it experiences a changing magnetic flux. This changing magnetic flux induces an electromotive force (EMF) in the loop, which in turn causes an electric current to flow.

2. What factors affect the amount of electricity produced by a square loop moving through a varying magnetic field?

The amount of electricity produced by a square loop moving through a varying magnetic field depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the size of the loop, and the speed at which the loop is moving. The greater these factors, the more electricity will be produced.

3. How does the orientation of the square loop affect the amount of electricity produced?

The orientation of the square loop relative to the magnetic field also affects the amount of electricity produced. When the loop is parallel to the magnetic field, it will produce the maximum amount of electricity. As the loop becomes more perpendicular to the field, the amount of electricity produced decreases.

4. What are some real-life applications of a square loop moving through a varying magnetic field?

This phenomenon is used in many everyday devices such as generators, electric motors, and transformers. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity from motion, such as in hydroelectric or wind power plants.

5. How can this concept be applied in scientific research?

This concept is used in various scientific research studies, such as studying the Earth's magnetic field or exploring the effects of magnetic fields on biological systems. It can also be used in experiments to study the relationship between electricity and magnetism.