1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Square Loop Of Wire True or False

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A square loop of wire with a small resistance is moved with constant speed from a field free region into a region of uniform B field (B is constant in time) and then back into a field free region to the right. The self inductance of the loop is negligible.

http://capa-new.colorado.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype64/prob24_loop1.gif

A) Upon entering the field, a clockwise current flows in the loop.
    B) While the loop is entirely in the field, the emf in the loop is zero.
    C) Upon leaving the field, a clockwise current flows in the loop.
    D) When entering the field the coil experiences a magnetic force to the right.
    E) When leaving the field the coil experiences a magnetic force to the left.

2. Relevant equations
    k so i assume we use the right hand rule for all of these.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only one that I know for sure to be right is B. Other then that I am a little confused. if you can just give me some hints that would help greatly

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2
    Please someone help me

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: Look up Lenz's law in your book. It states that the current will flow in a direction to oppose the applied field. (You'll need your right-hand rule to figure it out). Lenz's law will also tell you the answer to D, E if you think about it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook