Find the magnetic force on the square loop

In summary, a square loop carrying 6A of current is placed near a long wire carrying 10A. To find the magnetic force on the loop, the B-field must be calculated at the wires PQ, QR, RS, and SP. The forces FPQ and FRS should be considered, and the B-field can be found using the equation B = (µ0 * i)/2 π r. The forces must then be added, taking note of their directions.
Abs

Homework Statement

A square loop PQRS carrying a current of 6A is placed near a long wire carrying 10A as shown in the figure. Find the magnetic force on the square loop.

Homework Equations

F = B * i * l ...... (1)
B = (µ0 * i)/2 π r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding out the answer by applying the formulas given above, I tried finding B [by (2) ]and putting it in the equation (1) but I did not get the correct answer.
BTW the answer is
1.6 x 10^-5 towards right.
sum.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Abs said:
I tried finding B [by (2) ]and putting it in the equation (1)
You must find the B-field at the wires PQ, QR, RS and SP. Then find and add the forces.

Hint: Consider the forces FPQ and FRS

Abs said:

Homework Statement

A square loop PQRS carrying a current of 6A is placed near a long wire carrying 10A as shown in the figure. Find the magnetic force on the square loop.

Homework Equations

F = B * i * l ...... (1)
B = (µ0 * i)/2 π r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding out the answer by applying the formulas given above, I tried finding B [by (2) ]and putting it in the equation (1) but I did not get the correct answer.
BTW the answer is
1.6 x 10^-5 towards right.View attachment 86512
Hello Abs. Welcome to PF !

What did you get for the answer, and what are the details of how you got it?

SammyS said:
Hello Abs. Welcome to PF !

What did you get for the answer, and what are the details of how you got it?
I got 1.22 x 10^4

I first found out the magnetic force on P then S then Q and then R and took a mid point in the center of the square and I got four values and I found their arithematic mean and I got 1.22 x 10^4

Hesch said:
You must find the B-field at the wires PQ, QR, RS and SP. Then find and add the forces.

Hint: Consider the forces FPQ and FRS
But we are supposed to find the force, then what good would it be to find force excewpt that it can be put in eqn (1)

Abs said:
I first found out the magnetic force on P then S then Q and then R and took a mid point in the center of the square
Using F = B*I*L will not give any force at a mid point, which has a length = 0.
Force = B-field * current * Length of wire.

So find the B-field along the length SP, and find by use of (1) the force FSP, and so on.

Likes SammyS
Hesch said:
Using F = B*I*L will not give any force at a mid point, which has a length = 0.
Force = B-field * current * Length of wire.

So find the B-field along the length SP, and find by use of (1) the force FSP, and so on.
Wow, I made a big blunder there is nothing in the middle to be magnetized damn that was stupid of me.
Thanks Hesch
Just one more question,

When I find B by B = (µ0 * i)/2 π r

Do I have to find it for SR and PQ ? If yes then how do you find it in a horizontal wire ? I know how to find it in a vertical wire

AND

After I find all the Force(s) do I add them ?

Abs said:
Do I have to find it for SR and PQ ? If yes then how do you find it in a horizontal wire ?
As for RS and PQ the B-field will not be homogeneous, but anyway the forces FRS and FPQ will be symmetrical and counter-acting. So forget them.
Abs said:
After I find all the Force(s) do I add them ?
Yes. Be careful with directions.

Hesch said:
As for RS and PQ the B-field will not be homogeneous, but anyway the forces FRS and FPQ will be symmetrical and counter-acting. So forget them.

Yes. Be careful with directions.
Biiiiiiig thanks Hesch I don't get it why are you so smart man I am jealous. Thanks.
I will tell you positively by tomorow if I get the answer(it is my time to sleep now then school tutions ... etc)
Bye

Related to Find the magnetic force on the square loop

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic force on a square loop?

The formula for calculating the magnetic force on a square loop is F = I * B * l, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in amperes, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, and l is the length of the side of the square loop in meters.

2. How do I determine the direction of the magnetic force on a square loop?

The direction of the magnetic force on a square loop can be determined by applying the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, then curl your fingers towards the magnetic field. The direction your fingers point is the direction of the force on the loop.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on a square loop?

The strength of the magnetic force on a square loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the strength of the magnetic field, and the size and orientation of the loop relative to the magnetic field.

4. Can I use this formula to calculate the magnetic force on any shape of loop?

No, this specific formula is only applicable to a square loop. Different shapes of loops may require different formulas to calculate the magnetic force.

5. Is the magnetic force on a square loop always constant?

No, the magnetic force on a square loop can vary depending on the factors mentioned in question 3. If any of these factors change, the magnetic force on the loop will also change.