Square or Rectangle 30 psi storage tank

In summary, this person wants to design a pressure vessel that can hold water at a depth of 5 ft, and with a pressure of 30 psi. The walls of the tank are not to deflect more than .001 of an inch. The tank must be cylindrical or spherical, and made of materials that can withstand a lot of pressure. If this is a real design, the person will need to use a cylinder for the design.
notinthebox
If I want to make a Square or Rectangle storage tank 5 feet deep and 22 feet long and 1 foot wide. The tank will be under 30 psi and also vacuum. That’s not hard to do what I want is the walls not to deflect more then .001 of an inch. The walls can be plastic, plywood with a steel sheet or steel. I want the walls to be flat and smooth. Thanks for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ummmm...I'm no stress analysis expert, but it seems you want to design a pressure vessel. 30 psi on such a long span of 22 feet and you want deflection to be max of 0.001 inch? Let's see...30 lbf/in^2 X (5 ft X 12 in) X (22 ft X 12 in) = a whole heck of a lot of force. You'll either have to internally/externally reinforce this thing or make the walls as thick as a battleship hull plate. And a cubic-shaped vessel...well, there's all kinds of problems with that concept. Butane tanks, etc., are cylindrical or spherical for a reason.

Either way, this should be governed by pressure vessel design practices (for example, ASME Pressure Vessel Codes), else you will construct a bomb. Tread lightly there, sport, there be nasty beasties about.

Its for water what would the max lenth I should go with then?

This sounds more like a homework problem... If this is a real design, you really must use a cylinder... any other shape proves you have no clue and should not construct such a thing.

notinthebox said:
If I want to make a Square or Rectangle storage tank 5 feet deep and 22 feet long and 1 foot wide. The tank will be under 30 psi and also vacuum. That’s not hard to do what I want is the walls not to deflect more then .001 of an inch. The walls can be plastic, plywood with a steel sheet or steel. I want the walls to be flat and smooth. Thanks for any help

Start with the basic fact that a pressure of 1 atmosphere is about 1 ton per square foot. So 30 psi is about 2 tons per square foot. That's more that 200 tons pushing out the 5 ft x 22 ft side of your rectangular tank.

That's why you don't find many rectangular pressure tanks - and certainly not many made out of plywood or plastic.

notinthebox said:
Its for water what would the max lenth I should go with then?

I don't see the connection between "a 5 ft depth of water" and "30 psi and also a vacuum".
Even a 22 ft depth of water is only about 10 psi at the bottom (and zero at the top).

It a piston for a pump

The real problem- and the real reason you don't see rectangular tanks- is the edges. Along edges there will be a large force pushing the sides away from each other.

Yes I know the corners will need to be inside rounded and I will have to make the size 5 to 7 feet deep and 11" x 14" and add them up to the max.

Last edited:
We could certainly design such a thing as a mental exercise, but the result would be completely unreasonable and impractical to build. It sounds like he wants to build a square piston to pump water. If that be a real need, then find a seal that will enable you to loosen up that .001 number as much as possible. Then build a box out of anything you want and cast it in concrete. Use lots of steel in the concrete and arrange it to best take the loads. Prestessing the steel would reduce the amount of material required.

If you don't understand how to do that analysis, then this project exceeds your ability to do it safely.

1. What is the difference between a square and rectangle 30 psi storage tank?

A square storage tank has four equal sides and four right angles, while a rectangle storage tank has four sides with two pairs of equal length and four right angles.

2. What is the maximum pressure that a 30 psi storage tank can withstand?

A 30 psi storage tank can withstand a maximum pressure of 30 pounds per square inch.

3. How is the storage capacity of a 30 psi storage tank determined?

The storage capacity of a 30 psi storage tank is determined by its volume, which is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the tank.

4. Can a 30 psi storage tank be used for storing liquids?

Yes, a 30 psi storage tank can be used for storing liquids. However, the tank must be designed and manufactured specifically for storing liquids, and the material of the tank must be compatible with the type of liquid being stored.

5. How can I ensure the safety of a 30 psi storage tank?

To ensure the safety of a 30 psi storage tank, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the tank, follow proper storage guidelines, and only use the tank for its intended purpose. Additionally, it is recommended to have the tank installed and inspected by a professional.